2368346202_05edffd868_zClasses start today, so we thought you might like some tracks to explore your feelings regarding this newest development. Yeah, we’re bummed that winter break is over. But we’re also glad to be going to the best school in the world.

Here are the 13 songs to kick off 2013:

1. Wizard Flurry Home, Mariee Sioux — If you saw snowfall this break, you’ll understand what she’s talking about here. But even if you didn’t, you’ll like the way she makes you feel. All Native American and shit.

2. When the Roses Bloom Again, Billy Bragg and Wilco — A chance to give a sorrowful farewell to the days of skiing and family feasts, this song’s almost upbeat tune clashes gloriously with its moody lyrics. Wilco’s distinctive voice dominates the vocals and is complemented by Bragg’s folk influences.

3. Submarines, The Lumineers — Filled with angst and youthful loneliness, this simple yet meaningful ballad is filled with folk energy.

4. Newlands, Justice — The key point of this song is not to think too hard. Just move to the prog beat, and don’t worry about the muffled disappointment that was Audio, Video, Disco.

5. Said So What, French Kicks — Reminiscent of The Beach Boys, it’s easy to groove to the warmth of repetition and jangling.

6. Half Gate, Grizzly Bear — This song resonates with beauty. It’s a mastery of composition and eloquently rich with meaning. It’s about barriers between people and the past. Such a good listen when you’re feeling sentimental.

7. One Pure Thought, Hot Chip — A dance track like no other, these guys just want you to smile. Don’t stress the ugliness that pops up — it’s on purpose, and the feels are ultimately satisfying.

8. The Day is Coming, My Morning Jacket — Although technically a rock band, MMJ are always trying something new. This song is a clear motivator with a catchy tune and beautiful strangeness that stands just short of psychedelia.

9. Leave House, Caribou Elegantly rhythmic and trippier than a shroom party, “Leave House” makes you want to leave house.

10. The Distance, Cake Just a simple pleasure to get you moving. Cake doesn’t hide anything, and their classic loudness makes great exercise music.

11. Crystalfilm, Little Dragon Now that you’ve gotten most of the gloominess out of your system, let’s feel some of it again. This song might have gloomy lyrics, but you can’t help wanting to dance to that beat. It’s a happy kind of sad, you dig?

12. Nighttiming, Coconut Records Some of you may know Jason Schwartzman from Wes Anderson movies like “Rushmore” and “The Darjeeling Limited,” but this renaissance man is also a music master. Such an upbeat beat.

13. The Go Getter, The Black Keys These guys just don’t miss. They have a distinctive sound, yes, but there is a world to explore in their albums. Agreed, this is quite the grand finale. Now Go Getter.

Image source: Shankar, Shiv under Creative Commons