It’s that lovely time of year again when clubs start recruitment anew and spring admits try their best to fit in as if they were actually here during the fall to figure Berkeley out. If you’re one of these numbers, here are some ways to know you still obviously look like a newbie.

Campanile 1) You call the GBC the Golden Bear Cafe.
No one has time to call it by its full name except during campus tours and orientation.

2) You go to Crossroads for every meal.
People other than freshmen eat in our esteemed dining commons, but certainly not all the time! If you must stick to school dining, explore other places around campus!

3) You take every flier on Sproul.
Either you don’t know how to say no yet, or you’re eager to find out everything that’s happening on campus. We don’t think this will last long.

4) You say hi to people on the first day of class.
Being friendly is wonderful, but most students of any other year have grown old, boring and set in their ways. They probably won’t be initiating conversations during their 8 a.m. biology lectures any time soon.

5) You’re afraid to steal food from the DC.
Crossroads can’t actually expel you for walking out with a piece of pizza without a to-go box. Heck, we’ve known people who took whole Tupperware boxes with them to fulfill all their snacking needs for later.

6) You haven’t streamed any TV yet for fear of getting caught.
We don’t advocate illegal activities, but we promise no one will knock knowingly on your door the moment you search for a streaming website, and Hulu doesn’t instantly eat up all your allotted bandwidth.

7) You pay attention to the posters in the hall explaining each acronym.
We abbreviate everything, and the difference between the ASC and ASUC does need explaining. Just memorize them quickly, and don’t let anyone catch you looking.

8 ) You actually look at which clubs table on Sproul.
You haven’t found your group yet, so browse away! But if you want to be discreet, simply practice hiding your expression of awe.

9) You have to look at a map to find your classes.
Figure out the big ones like Wheeler and Dwinelle; then if you have to look up where Blum Hall, is no one will blame you — because they won’t know either.

10) You haven’t gotten used to calling it Cal.
You’re a Golden Bear now! It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been here you have a right to that pride.

Image source: Teleyinex under Creative Commons

a6492137 said:
Jan 25, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I’ve said that least 6492137 times. SKC was here…

a5145584 said:
Jan 25, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I’ve said that least 5145584 times. SKC was here…

a2870152 said:
Jan 25, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I’ve said that least 2870152 times. SKC was here…

a8743666 said:
Jan 25, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I’ve said that least 8743666 times. SKC was here…

a3600198 said:
Jan 25, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I’ve said that least 3600198 times. SKC was here…

a2699602 said:
Jan 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I’ve said that least 2699602 times. SKC was here…