Last week on the Clog, we got to sit down and talk with UC Berkeley’s own Electronic Sports Club president, Conan “Suppy” Liu. Through it, we got to find out some very interesting things about the competitive gaming community in Berkeley and what it takes to be a professional gamer. Definitely check it out if you haven’t already.

However, as we have also found out through Liu, the scene is very much growing and is on the move toward gaining an even broader mainstream appeal. So much so that it seems to have caught the attention of Kornhaber Brown, who has done a mini-documentary about the E-sports community for “PBS Off Book,” a Web series that explores new experimental artistic media.

The mini-documentary itself is very informative and really expands on the vast world of electronic sports in an easy-to-understand way. What’s also nice is that it breaks down the major genres of games played at professional-level tournaments, gives an interesting story of a real-life professional gamer and even dabbles in current issues that exist in the community, such as sexism and the exclusivity that E-sport gaming sometimes breeds.

The world of E-sports is truly something that is fresh and new. It is very much a young community that is growing alongside our generation. Of course, you might think that a bunch of people gathering around to watch others play a video game competitively may seem a bit odd or dumb, but just like the fans and players of a traditional professional sport such as basketball or football, there exists the same amount of depth and appreciation in the video games played at these tournaments. It’s exactly the reason there has been such a growing array of people getting involved with the scene as a whole. We totally recommend looking into it sometime if you’re not too swamped with schoolwork. There’s a lot of fun to be had in it.

Regardless, definitely press the play button on the video above, and prepare to get sucked into the world of E-sports!