The Clog has gotten a makeover! But don’t worry — we’re still your one-stop shop for all things UC Berkeley-related. We’ll give you our — often hilarious — two cents on all the goings-on around campus and the city of Berkeley. Whether you need a laugh, a cry or just some old-fashioned news coverage, we’ve got you covered. And don’t miss our new weekly posts, including Playlist Mondays, Tech On Tuesday and Flashback Friday.
Check out the newly designed blog here. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for daily updates.
Image source: The Daily Californian
The Clog was pretty excited when we realized that UCLA Chancellor Gene Block and our Chancellor Robert Birgeneau look very similar. So, prove your loyalty to Cal and differentiate which chancellor is which.
(Enlarge for answer)
read more »
Yeah, celebrate, you heard us correctly…
Dead Week may be dubbed as “Dread Week” but to us at the Clog, it’s a joyous occasion. It’s the one week when your Facebook statuses receive way more likes than ever before and you procrastinate by doing things you never would, like clean your room or have lengthy conversations with relatives. To celebrate, the Clog has created a list of the three best ways to procrastinate, while learning a thing or two about your fellow Golden Bears.
It’s everyone’s favorite confession page. Only open during Dead Week and Finals, AnonCon houses everything from embarrassing photos and naughty stories to useful links like cookie delivery services, all submitted anonymously by Cal students. We’ve posted some of our favorite anonymous comments bellow. Ladies and gentleman, these are your classmates:
- “I wish the new Chancellor hadn’t shaved his unibrow :C” — Don’t we all
- “I’m obsessed with the men’s octet” — Who isn’t?
- “Welp, there goes any semblance of my attempting to be productive at all.” — Welp, at least you tried
- “People who wear non-Cal college shirts and sweatshirts drive me up the wall sometimes, do you not want to be here or what?” — We hear you.
- “My current secret: I didn’t think Skyfall was as good as the rest of the fucking world seems to think. I don’t like Sam Mendes and I was bored by the narrative. But I don’t want to tell people who are excited to see it that I didn’t like it and the people that did like it obviously don’t care that I dont.” — Thanks for sharing that deep secret
- “Confession, I think if I were a guy I’d be pretty cute and I, at least, would be pretty interested in me.” — Hmm?
- “Anyone watch today’s episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Best episode yet this season!” — Such a great episode!
- “The Clog is the greatest blog I’ve ever read!” — We agree!
read more »
Still recovering from midterms? We are too, and nothing sounds better than a movie marathon. Well, you’re in luck…
The self-proclaimed “Words Largest Student Film Festival” is collaborating with SUPERB again this year to bring you the best short films Berkeley students have to offer. The Campus Moviefest lends students from over 90 schools computers, cameras and equipment to make their own short films. They are given one week to write, film, direct and edit their masterpieces.
Don’t miss the extravaganza TONIGHT at 7 p.m. in Wheeler Auditorium for a screening of the top 16 short films made by Cal students. It’s $3 with your Cal ID, $5 for general admission.
Prizes for Best Picture, Best Drama and Best Comedy will be awarded to contestants tonight, voted on by students! So shake off your crazy week of tests and papers, dress to the nines and get ready to vote for the best of the best.
Image source: lenovophotolibrary under Creative Commons.
As the USC away game rapidly approaches, hundreds of Cal students ready themselves for the long-standing California tradition of winnebago-ing to SoCal.
For those of you who don’t know what “bago-ing” is, let us fill you in. It’s basically like a family road trip on an RV. But, instead of your family, it’s a bunch of fraternity guys, and instead of your responsible Dad driving you, its a nervous freshman pledge holding your life in their hands. Rather than the fruit and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies your mom would normally pack, your bago is stocked with Hot Cheetos, Sour Patch Kids and Red Vines. And instead of stopping at famous sights along the way, you look forward to your one stop at the world famous Kettleman City In-n-Out. Get the picture? Yeah, it’s half crazy, half awesome.
As we prepare to leave the land of “hella” and composting, and enter a world of 24-Hour Fitnesses and bleached blonde hair, we must take this time to re-hash proper etiquette and important tips and tricks for surviving the bago. read more »
The U.S. News & World Report once again solidified Berkeley’s ranking as the number one public school in the nation. Sure, they might base their rankings on an algorithm that takes into account financial resources, graduation rates, alumni donations, student selectivity, and undergraduate academic reputation but I think we all know the real reasons why Cal remains atop the list year after year…
1. We’re the OG’s — aka “Original Gangsters.” As in, we are the FIRST University of California. Yeah UCLA might be creeping up the list at a close second, but they are our offspring, our little brother. We will continue to give them wedgies and noogies to keep them in second place.
2. We cheer louder for our band at football games than our actual football team, solidifying our true inner nerds.
3. We all have taken a great disliking to Bob Dylan upon hearing that his concert is the reason for our cancelled bonfire. If that’s not school spirit, I don’t know what is.
4. We have a food court that is only known as the “Asian Ghetto.” Enough said.
5. We bring tents and toothbrushes to the library during dead week as to not waste any study time walking home, or sleeping in a bed, or seeing sunlight…
6. We have more Mexican Restaurants on one block of Telegraph than the entire state of Maine.
7. We have the best dressed mascot in the state. Nice cardigan, Oski.
8. After 89 years, our stadium is now earthquake safe!
9. We’re within walking distance of Cheeseboard — brain food!
10. We want to save the planet; we hella like to compost
This algorithm that takes into account school spirit, nerdiness, awesomeness and love of Mexican food proves to be the real reason why the University of California, Berkeley will continue to be known as the greatest public university in America… Go Bears!
Photo credit tedknudsen under Creative Commons
Don’t miss out! Robert Reich and former president of Chile Ricardo Lagos will be speaking at Boalt Law School’s Booth Auditorium tomorrow at 12:30pm. The event, held by the Center for Latin American Studies, is called “Inequality: A Dialogue for the Americas.”
- Ricardo Lagos
Robert Reich is a Professor of Public Policy at UC Berkeley and former Secretary of Labor during the Clinton administration. Lagos served as president of Chile from 2000-2006 and in 2006 was awarded the Berkeley Medal by Chancellor Birgeneau — a title regarded as Berkeley’s highest honor … Ya, we know, they both sound pretty legitimate!
So, for all you students who have tried for numerous years to get into Reich’s Wealth and Poverty course — but of course, have been denied by the wait list — this is a great alternative to see him in action!