It looks like UC President Robert Dynes will get off easy.

Yesterday, the UC Board of Regents approved a report that documented disciplnary action taken against the individuals involved in last year’s compensation scandal.

However, the Daily Cal and the Chron report that the document issued by the Regents did not detail what those exact disciplinary actions entailed and who was disciplined.

Don’t remember the compensation scandal? In a nut shell, top executives within the University of California got compensated without Regents approval, and some rules were bent to go around the Regents and pay for inappropriate things such as extra vacation, bonuses, etc.

This includes Dynes. Dynes himself was found to have at least 20 policy violations during his reign as president; however, the report doesn’t fault Dynes and said that he acted on some really bad advice.

It is clear … that President Dynes’ actions were taken as a result of advice and recommendations from those in positions whose responsibility was to know University policies.

Great, maybe the next time we do something wrong, we should blame the people who told us to do it. And shouldn’t Dynes also know these policies as president of the entire UC system?

This all sounds very shady to us. If the audits from last year found Dynes to have violated some sort of policy, then are the Regents just not looking into the audits themselves? Are the regents just discrediting the audits from last year?

UC also came under fire after a reported pay increase to Dynes’ salary, which he reportedly declined in November. However, UC Regent Judith Hopkinson, chair of the compensation committee, said that the Regents did not offer Dynes a pay increase.

Even more shady! We think the Regents or even President Dynes needs to make an Anonymous Confession. If the Regents continue to muddy the waters in which they operate by not disclosing who was punished or how they were punished, scandals like this can only occur again.

Regents Approve Response to Compensation Audit Findings [Daily Cal]

Regents excuse UC president in salary scandal [SF Gate]

andre said:
Jun 20, 2007 at 8:37 pm

For those of you who like to know more about thttp://www.sdreader.com/php/cover.php?mode=article&showpg=1&id=20060323his scandal and Bob Dynes history, check out this newspaper article:

andre said:
Jun 20, 2007 at 8:39 pm

For those of you who like to know more about the scandal and Bob Dynes history check this out:
http://www.sdreader.com/php/cover.php?mode=article&showpg=1&id=20060323

Transparency said:

Rotting smell from UC Berkeley’s Chancellor’s office. UC Berkeley’s recent elimination of popular sports programs highlighted endemic problems in the university’s management. Chancellor Robert J Birgeneau’s eight-year fiscal track record is dismal indeed. He would like to blame the politicians in Sacramento, since they stopped giving him every dollar he has asked for, and the state legislators do share some responsibility for the financial crisis. But not in the sense he means.
A competent chancellor would have been on top of identifying inefficiencies in the system and then crafting a plan to fix them. Competent oversight by the UC Board of Regents and the California legislature would have required him to provide data on problems and on what steps he was taking to solve them. Instead, every year Birgeneau would request a budget increase, the regents would agree to it, and the legislature would provide. The hard questions were avoided by all concerned, and the problems just piled up to $150 million….until there was no money left.
It’s not that Birgeneau was unaware that there were, in fact, waste and inefficiencies in the system. Faculty and staff have raised issues with senior management, but when they failed to see relevant action taken, they stopped. Finally, Birgeneau engaged some expensive ($3 million) consultants, Bain , to tell him what he should have been able to find out from the bright, engaged people in his own organization and the academic senate..
From time to time, a whistleblower would bring some glaring problem to light, but the chancellor’s response was to dig in and defend rather than listen and act. Since UC has been exempted from most whistleblower lawsuits, there are ultimately no negative consequences for maintaining inefficiencies.
In short, there is plenty of blame to go around. But you never want a serious crisis to go to waste. An opportunity now exists for the UC president, Board of Regents, and California legislators to jolt UC Berkeley back to life, applying some simple check-and-balance management principles. Increasing the budget is not enough; transforming senior management is necessary. The faculty, students, staff, academic senate, Cal. alumni, and taxpayers await the transformation.

dieta da fruta said:

I’m going to start out a good incognito assistance weblog, does it manifest online hunt if perhaps folks try and investigation their very own predicament?.