How many of you like smoking when walking down Telegraph Avenue? How many of you like to lie down randomly on the sidewalk? Pee in public? Drink in public? Own a shopping cart in public? Yell randomly in public?

Well, all of those things will be banned eventually. Tuesday night the Berkeley City Council passed the Public Commons for Everyone Initiative, which Mayor Tom Bates has been trying to push through the council for months now.

The Chron is reporting that it’s a way clean up the streets and get rid of rowdy behavior. It’s always a way to force the city’s homeless population to get some help—by either getting help on their own or by being arrested and being sent to get help.

The implementation of the Public Commons for Everyone Initiative is slated to start sometime late this year, after the City Manager creates a plan for implementation and bring it back to the council.

So we guess we won’t see anymore rowdy frat guys roaming the streets of Berkeley after a football game or that piss-drunk freshmen peeing on the street corner or that weird guy going to sleep right next to your favorite coffee spot.

Maybe this will eventually bring more businesses back to the now-shoddy Telegraph Avenue. Just think: a Jamba Juice on every corner. Maybe they’ll even bring a Peets to Telegraph. Or even a big corporate drug store. Oh wait …

At least the streets will be clean … or not as dirty.

Council passes plan to stop bad street behavior [SF Gate]
Berkeley consider ‘public commons’ initiative [Oakland Trib]

EDIT: It seems the Chron may have been a little too eager with its story. According to the Oakland Tribune, Berkeley City Council approved some parts of the initiative but also sent it back to the city manager:bq. A sweeping plan to improve the quality of life in public areas and make Berkeley a cleaner and friendly place for shoppers and visitors was approved by the City Council on Tuesday.

bq. But the plan — originally put forth by Mayor Tom Bates with additions by council member Kriss Worthington — must now go back to City Manager Phil Kamlarz for more specific proposals. Laws will not change until after a meeting in the fall, said Bates’ senior aide Julie Sinai.

The Daily Cal also has the story.

Jim said:
Jun 13, 2007 at 4:45 pm

fuck ya, get rid of the hippies and the homeless. and fuck the daily cal

Everyone said:
Jun 13, 2007 at 8:44 pm

Thank God, I’m glad someone finally said it. Fuck the daily cal. And what’s with this blog? I remember the golden age of Cal Stuff. Damn you Ben for abandoning slash graduating

Thank you for some other wonderful post. The place else may just anyone get that type of info in such an ideal manner of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the search for such info.