Parking is a bitch in Berkeley. We’re not going to lie. You drive around for about half an hour, think you see a spot, and it turns out that there’s a fire hydrant right there, or a driveway, or it’s a loading zone, or some Mini Cooper is hiding behind that huge-ass SUV.

It’s even worse, we guess, for people who actually live in Berkeley and have to deal with all the university’s pesky college kids taking up all the street-side parking.

That’s where the city comes in.

Inside Bay Area reports that starting as soon as September, a section of the city south of UC Berkeley will be closed off and reserved primarily for residents. This section runs from Telegraph Avenue to College Avenue and from Dwight Way to Derby Street.

The city will make one side of each of the streets restricted to only residents who live there. The other side of these streets will remain the same as it is now—people without permits can park for two hours, but if they stay longer, they get a nice little fine.

Much of the parking strain that occurs on the south side happened after the university decided to close off that parking structure behind Crossroads. That thing held about 300 parking spots, according to Inside Bay Area. But that new parking structure they’re building at the old site, which is slated to open later this year, is supposed to hold 1,000 cars. That should help with the problem.

And, of course, someone has to take to complaining about this new program. Take this shop owner for instance:

bq. “You can’t apply this solution in one area and not expect people in others to want it,” Laird said. “I can understand where the people in those areas think this might be good, but once again it’s a typical Berkeley short-sighted solution. Berkeley has allowed a lot of housing without parking, with the concept that people don’t need cars. And now the neighborhoods are saying we need a place to put all our cars.”

Word.

Image Source: Google Maps
Berkeley tests program to provide more parking [Inside Bay Area]

Mark Celsor said:
Jun 21, 2007 at 12:14 am

Thanks Gerald, I linked to this post from the Willard Park Blog .

Avinash said:
Jun 21, 2007 at 8:56 am

Critical Mass is delighted with these developments.