Steps for a successful oak protest:

# Occupy the trees
# Take pictures of naked people in and around trees
# And possibly damage said trees (at least according to police)

The Save the Oaks at the Stadium coalition, also known as the tree people and (affectionately) as Treewoks, is suspected of damaging two trees, UCPD says. The process of constructing a living space in the trees allegedly damaged a cedar and a redwood.

Ayr, a member of the coalition, said it isn’t so. The Daily Cal reports:

The sleeping platforms are made out of plywood planks and springy, net-like reed catchers that are tied tightly to the trees so as not to cause any damage, Ayr said.

He also said no permanent damage was done to the two trees in question.

News 10 reports that the tops of the two trees have been cut off and are damaged permanently. No one has been cited yet, but whoever turns out to be responsible may face charges of vandalism, trespassing and lodging on campus.

Ayr explains that

It’s ridiculous and hypocritical for the UC to cry crocodile tears about removing dead and damaged branches when they’re planning on cutting down the grove.

It’s only been less than a year, fellow tree people! This is the man trying to knock us (and the trees) down. C’mon, let’s fight to preserve these trees.

You know, sounds like somebody’s got a case of the Mondays.

Image Source: Eli Weissman, Daily Cal
UCPD: Protesters Damaged Two Trees Near Stadium [Daily Cal]
Berkeley Tree Sitters Accused of Vandalizing Trees [News 10]

Heather said:

That’s the pot calling the kettle black. If their crime is for “damaging” 2 trees. What is the crime for cutting down the grove? Can we sue who’s responsible for this action? Is not criminal to tear down ALL the trees , if they have a case against the 2?

Heather said:

It’s art and its freedom expression. More beautiful than PLAYBOY. (which is the case they could use to defend the art). The naturalists represent the trees as living beings. Symbolizing and aligning themselves with the life of the tree. Would you cut down standing people? As in the abortion arena, who can represent those who can not defend themselves? They are trying to defend these speechless beings. But very much alive- unlike the abortion argument. Very much alive makes it murder, if you align the symbolsim with living organisms.