*First Up … UCLA Assistant Arrested*
If you haven’t heard yet, UCLA wide receivers coach Eric Scott
has been arrested under the suspicion of burglary.

We didn’t know that coaches for a school squished in between Bel Air and Beverly Hills needed to go out and steal things.

Of course, this has started a whole storm of inquiries about whether or not UCLA did a good enough job doing a background check on Scott—whether or not Scott, who has been sentenced for three other crimes according to the LA Times, is guilty or not.

And who did the background checking? UCLA police And it was actually AOL Fanhouse that made this joke:

bq. When they aren’t tasering students, it seems that the UCLA campus police are not brushing up on their background check skills.

Ah yes. The taser incident. We remember that.

*Voting Machines Faulty*
Remember a few weeks ago when we told you about that UC Davis professor trying to see if the voting machines California would use in its next election were hacker-proof?

Well, according Matt Bishop’s findings, they’re not hacker-proof.

That’s riled up the computer companies, of course.

bq. Allowing a team of University of California computer experts unlimited access to the voting systems, along with any needed passwords, source code and manuals “is not a real world scenario,” said Steven Bennett, a spokesman for Sequoia Voting Systems, whose equipment is used in Alameda, Napa and Santa Clara counties.

Yes, it’s not a real world scenario because hackers are dumber than professors. Shouldn’t we have the right to know even the smallest little kink in our voting machines?

*Obesity Gets Its Day in Research*
We have two stories to tell you about.

First, UC San Diego researchers say that obesity may be socially contagious. According to the study, the chance’s of becoming obese go up to 57 percent if one of your friends is obese, 40 percent if a sibling is obese and 37 percent if your spouse is obese.

bq. “We were stunned to find that friends who are hundreds of miles away have just as much impact on a person’s weight status as friends who are right next door,” said co-author James Fowler of the UC San Diego.

UC Merced will get its hands dirty with this obesity thing. For the next 10 years, UC Merced researcher Rudy Ortiz will inspect what makes kids in the Central Valley obese.

First, it’s great that the newest UC school in the system gets to do some sort of research. Second, there are people living in the Central Valley? We just thought it was void of any form of life other than in Fresno and in Merced.

Image Source: Salgu Wissmath, Daily Cal
Bruins football assistant arrested [ LA Times ]
Voting Machine Companies Attack Review [Forbes]
Makers of voting machines battle critics over UC study [SF Gate]
UC San Diego researchers find obesity can spread in social circles [North County Times]
UC Merced study eyes obese kids [Modesto Bee]

J.W. said:
Aug 1, 2007 at 11:43 pm

Apostrophe use! Come on people!

(Then again, I guess this is free.)

Everyone said:

you speak of football arrests but you can’t be bothered to discuss this?:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/colleges/ci_6506525

You guys suck at blogging. Where oh where is CalStuff!?

Rob said:

Nice post.

We’ve a real problem with obesity.

In fact I recently blogged about this exact thing here: http://tinyurl.com/38zvkm

In short: In May of 2002, the World Health Organization announced a rise in obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Remarkably, this occurred not only in affluent developed nations – but also among developing nations in Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean, where malnutrition was once the major dietary issue.

Obesity in the developing world can be seen as a result of a series of changes in diet, physical activity, health and nutrition, collectively known as the ‘nutrition transition.’ As poor countries become more prosperous, they acquire some of the benefits along with some of the problems of industrialized nations. These include obesity.

Since urban areas are much further along in the transition than rural ones, they experience higher rates of obesity. Cities offer a greater range of food choices, generally at lower prices. Urban work often demands less physical exertion than rural work. And as more and more women work away from home, they may be too busy to shop for, prepare and cook healthy meals at home. The fact that more people are moving to the city compounds the problem. In 1900, just 10 percent of the world population inhabited cities. Today, that figure is nearly 50 percent.

Read more here: http://tinyurl.com/2scnhk