The biggest story this week is the resignation (or forced resignation, whichever you want to believe) of UC President Robert Dynes. But, as always, there are other things going on in the UC system. And there’s no better start than to talk about squirrels.

First Up…Squirrels Can Fend Off Rattlesnakes?

Yep. Well, at least that’s what the research coming out of the Animal Behavior Graduate Group at UC Davis said.

How does the squirrel do it? He (or she; it if you will) somehow heats up his (or her) tail and shakes it “aggressively.”

We guess there is some sort of benefit to having all those squirrels around campus.

But squirrels can only fend off rattlesnakes. Researchers tried testing this method by introducing gopher snakes to squirrels. The squirrels waved their tales vigorously, but didn’t heat them up.

Oh well. You can’t always be perfect.

Once Every Four Year Conference Heads to UCSB

We guess UC Santa Barbara is heading up the prestige level. First it held the UC Regents meetings a few months ago, and now it gets this conference that’s held only once every four years.

The conference is about Antarctica and is being sponsored by Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research and the U.S. National Science Foundation.

What will they be talking about? Well, science-y things. Like:

•  Antarctic Climate Evolution –– Global Linkages from Records in Ice Cores, Geological Cores, Outcrops, and Models
  •  GeoCryoDynamics –– Feedbacks and Coupling between the Geosphere, Cryosphere and Climate
  •   Antarctica in the Global Geodynamic System
  •   Antarctic Earth Science in the International Polar Year
  •   Polar Education and Outreach Initiatives
  •   Antarctica’s Impact on Global Biosphere Evolution
  •   New Frontiers in Technologies and Polar Databases

Ok, so you can figure it out.

Dynes to Conduct Interviews for UC Santa Cruz Chancellor

Dynes may be leaving his post, but that’s not going to prevent him from naming a new chancellor over on the Santa Cruz campus.

The reason why he says he’ll still be conducting the search is because, well, he’s still president of the UC.

But this process can still take several months—it kind of already has.

bq. The search for a permanent chancellor got under way when an advisory committee was formed in March. That group has met several times.

bq. UC spokesman Paul Schwartz said Dynes is “still hoping to bring a recommendation to the board sometime within the next few months”

California squirrels fend off rattlesnakes by heated tails [USA Today]
Major international conference on Antarctica to be held at UC Santa Barbara this month [First Science]
Dynes says interviews on tap today for UC Santa Cruz chancellor [Sentinel]

cancan said:

yok

Christian Louboutin Pigalle 120 Pumps Black said:

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.