We were appalled with ESPN six months ago. Six months ago, ESPN had the moxie to give us bowl predictions for this upcoming season—which begins next Saturday.

Sure, ESPN gave Cal the nod at going to the Rose Bowl this year (after losing to USC, again, no less), but that was six months ago. What did anyone know about the upcoming season?

Almost nothing.

So, we’re a week away from the start of college football, and yes, those predictions are coming out again. We still think they’re too early, but hey, we like to give you our thoughts about them.

We guess that SI.com has become the resident Cal-hater among “respectable” publications (or Web sites). We think they’ve taken Stewart Mandel’s cautionary advice too far and that they must have a UCLA grad on the staff somewhere—even if he or she is just a janitor.

SI.com is predicting that the Bears will travel to El Paso for the Sun Bowl (the hell of college bowl games). USC plays for the national title while the Bruins head two hours (five hours if there’s traffic) south to play in the Holiday Bowl in San Diego.

Does SI.com really think that the Holiday Bowl will pick UCLA over Cal if both teams finish with identical records? Well, we probably would. The Bruins still have a little bit more marketability over the Bears. And as we know, these bowl games are all about the money.

Speaking of having identical records with UCLA, to whom does Cal lose in the conference? And if all three loses for the Bears are in conference, then does that mean Tedford’s boys shut up all those SEC fans and beat Tennessee in seven days?

Over at SportsLine.com (or CBS Sports? We think they changed their name), Dennis Dodd thinks Cal heads to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl.

He also rants about a lot of other things. Like how new Stanfurd coach Jim Harbaugh hired his defensive coordinator—by searching the Internet.

Image Source: Deng-Kai Chen, Daily Cal
Sports Illustrated’s Bowl Projections [SI.com]
Twenty-five things to watch this season [CBS Sports]