You might think that all we write about is protests, protests and more protests. But to be fair, it seems that most of what happens around Berkeley is protests, protests and more protests. This time, Code Pink faces off the U.S. Marine recruiting center in downtown Berkeley.

Code Pink, a women’s anti-war group, has protested outside the recruiting center on Shattuck Avenue every Wednesday since Sept. 26. The group intends to continue protesting until the recruiting center closes shop.

Even the City Council disapproves of the recruitment center, though we’re not totally sure why a town priding itself on tolerance and free love finds a volunteer recruitment center not “appropriate for this town” in City Councilmember Linda Maio’s words.

Yes, Berkeley citizens are predominantly a self-righteously tolerant folk, but doesn’t that usually mean tolerance for opposition? And what makes the recruiting center different from Starbucks or Whole Foods or any other evil establishment conspiracy?

Surely there’s some old dead white guy out there mumbling something about defending to the death one’s right to say something.

Image Source: Ted Kwong, Daily Cal
Protests Follow Recruiting Center to Berkeley [Daily Cal]
Code Pink, military supporters clash in Berkeley [SF Gate]

Jack said:

As long as the Marines and their recruitment center is there, code pink will have the right to stage their protests. They ought to thank those Marines. In point of fact, they should waltz over to Starbucks, and buy them a Venti, but they just don’t have a clue about freedom, and life in general. Hey, Jerry Garcia is dead!