dragfabulousBright-eyed, bushy-tailed Cal Day students may be crushed to learn that the tweedy old academics that manage our university don’t often sanction events of a sexy exciting nature. But this Friday night, the Foothill Dining Commons play host to a contest to end all contests: Berkeley’s Next Top Drag Performer.

Blink, if you will, at the thought of a platoon of drag queens descending upon that drab northside haunt. Personally, we can’t think of a place that needs it more.

The event proposes to be a “gender bender dance/drag competition” that celebrates the risqué, the provocative and the titillating. We assume it’s not only a show because the facebook page specifies a dance that starts at 10:30 p.m., which means you get to break gender mores and boundaries by getting absolutely smashed and rubbing up against anyone within grabbing/lunging distance! Who would’ve thought that socially subversive could ever equate to fun at Berkeley. Well, besides the whole living in a tree bit.

Dean of students Jonathan Poullard is scheduled to appear as a judge. The show starts promptly at 9 p.m., and you have to present an I.D. at the door because the organizers don’t want non-Cal students sneaking in to ogle the ravishing ladies. There’s a 350 person capacity limit too, so get there before all of Oscar Wilde does.

Image source: marconunes under Creative Commons
Event – Berkeley’s Next Top Drag Performer [Queer Berkeley]
Berkeley’s Next Top Drag Performer [Facebook]

t said:

how exciting! i will be there