clog-stuff-110.jpg

We all know that storefronts on Telegraph Avenue are a hot commodity, mainly because they are a flipflop shuffle from, well–pretty much anywhere Berkeley students might find themselves at any given time. Thus, it follows that businesses that occupy the precious real estate close to campus are, most definitely, extremely important.

Accordingly, we felt it was our duty to check out (albeit, briefly) the newly reopened Rexall Owl Drugs (or is it Owl Rexall Drugs? Or Owl Drugs Rexall?) We admit it–we weren’t around for the old pharmacy, but Yelp says it kind of sucked, and was pushed O.O.B. by everyone’s favorite, Walgreen’s! Rexall Drugs 2.0 (Clarification: the new tenants of the Rexall facade, a.k.a. Sam’s Market) lacks the drugs, but now has a decent-looking deli counter, dairy products, fruit, a hefty selection of dry goods, and a truly impressive fridge section full of more varieties of root beer than we have ever seen–ever.

Prices fell somewhere between dirt cheap and Bear Market, but the, like, totally Berkeley mural on the back wall helped us overlook any monetary concerns we might have had. Oh, that, and the fact that they sell brownie mix and eggs will probably save us mad trips to Trader Joe’s.

clog-stuff-113.jpg

A couple blocks down, we greatly anticipate the opening of what could possibly become the next McDonald’s–Moo … licious! Alright, maybe not, since people don’t seem to enjoy things that don’t cause heart disease. Moo … licious might actually have a shot at success, nonetheless, since Nutella is involved. Cereal in general is pretty de … licious. We just hope they stay open late, because we can say with a fair degree of certainty that cereal is especially grr-eat when you’re, uh, craving a little midnight snack, if you catch our drift …

Image Source: Jill Cowan
Rexall Drug Store Berkeley [Yelp]
Can New Store Redefine Cereal? [Daily Cal]

pir said:

You should do your research.

The OWL REXALL drugs sign has been kept there for A LONG TIME. But the last tenants HAVE NOT been Rexall drugs. The current one IS NOT Rexall.

It’s Sam’s (i.e. Fred’s) Market.

Rachel said:

The last tenants before this new deli , was in fact Rexall. There was nothing in between Sam’s and the closing of Rexall. I Don’t know what Pir thinks was in there in between. I’m really curious to know what this cereal place is gonna offer.

Beetle said:

No, the previous tenants were Blue Heaven. I don’t recall them having a pharmacy, either. You might check with an organization slightly related to this blog, The Daily Californian.

pir said:

it’s amazing how stupid people can be. Just because of a sign…

T said:

oo look it’s the monster truck! they were handing out free java monster energy drinks!

Rachel said:

Blue heaven ?? The last business that was there offered the same as walgreen’s just smaller . They had over the counter drugs, condoms, soda’s . Everyone I know called it Rexall. @ pir ..It’s not necessary to call people names. Just show me some evidence to back up your claim.

pir said:

everyone called it rexall because they were just as dumb as you.

Rachel said:

pir’s Still name calling with no evidence. You must not be enjoying life very much. How do you figure insults = intelligence ?

Beetle said:

Did you not see my link?

Mike said:
Jun 21, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Rachel,

It was not Rexall. Blue Heaven was the previous tenant. Everyone still called it Rexall, but they did not have a pharmacy, as the old Rexall chain really was a drug store in the truest sense.

Blue Heaven did offer the basic over the counter stuff, but it was NOT part of the Rexall chain. The sign remains because it’s a historic building, and Berkeley makes it impossible to change anything without multiple hands being greased.

If you want evidence, look it up.