The UC Board of Regents at UCLA met Wednesday to deliberate over fee raises for the 2008-09 school year. Faced with a choice between a) hiking up prices, and b) lobbying the state for money that it is most stubbornly not doling out to its quailing education system, the finance committee threw up its hands and ceded to the inevitable. It’s final, folks. We’re paying 7.4% more in fees next year, while non-Californians will be saddled with a painful 5% increase in out-of-state tuition (currently at a lurid $28,000 for both semesters).

After the meeting, police arrested 16 students who linked arms, chanted “Regents, regents, can’t you see; you’re creating po-ver-ty”, and refused to leave. Mad props, people. You won’t be living in trees anytime soon, but making rhymes and getting tackled by the police constitute some pretty serious baby steps.

The fee hike’s ugly stepsister, the departmental budget cut, will affect more than just the 1500 students who’re losing out on East Asian language classes next semester. As far as we know:

• Reading & Composition classes will be cut by a third, blocking as many as 300 undergraduates from fulfilling their R&C requirements.
  • The entire Tagalog department is being scrapped.
  • Computer labs across the campus will close down an hour or two earlier next semester, while the computer lab in Dwinelle Hall is being shut down entirely.

Heard of anything else on campus that’s being affected by the statewide budget cuts? Let us know at [email protected], or drop us a comment on this post.

Image Source: steveleenow under Creative Commons
Departments Brace for Next Year’s Funding Cuts [Daily Cal]
UC Regents Vote to Raise Student Fees [City on a Hill Press]

pill said:
May 19, 2008 at 1:00 am

Wow, what an outrage.

domo said:
May 22, 2008 at 2:46 am

damn, no more tagalog??? Ginang P was the greatest

and yeah, kinda makes that 4.50 SUPERB was asking for a drop in the bucket

*sigh*