In a city full of impressionable, young college students who all want to change the world–homeless people, cults, clever marketing schemes and fundraisers have it made. There’s always a student or two who will feel a pang of sympathy for the desperate, soliciting souls out there.

Take us, for instance. About a month ago on Sproul Plaza, the Clog met a dashing young man rocking the typical Bay Area youth uniform: a grill, a street cap and of course, the all over print hoodie. Clipboard in hand and grill slurring, he asked for a cash donation to help send his baseball team to some random state.

We gave the dude a dollar because he totally looked like a baseball player (and we were having a good day).

But today, we find this shocker in the Berkeley Daily Planet:

Berkeley Unified School District officials said they uncovered an athletic fundraising scam on Friday, when a resident of Glenview in Oakland called to report that a young man was going door to door saying he was raising money for the Berkeley High School baseball team to visit Maui.

Damn us and our good hearts! Well, I suppose we have an excuse to keep our pocket change now.

Image Source: The Rocketeer under Creative Commons
Berkeley High Athletic Scams Reported in Oakland and Kensington [Berkeley Daily Planet]

MariaDavey said:
Jun 5, 2008 at 10:43 am

I enjoyed reading this funny article…….beware of scammers

sdfghjk said:
Jun 6, 2008 at 10:37 pm

FUUUCKKKK!! I GAVE THAT FUCKER $5 TWO SEMESTERS AGO!!! GAHH!!!! I WILL GIVE NO MORE! EVER AGAIN!!!

SEO Links said:

the scammers love to “win”………..LOL