Earlier this week, the Chron featured the plans for the newest museum to hit Berkeley streets. The Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive will move to Center and Oxford streets with Japanese architect Toyo Ito’s innovative design.

Take a look for yourselves: The curved wall design and open spaces beats the old BAM fan building by far. The new building will be three stories, with each room leading into the next and walls just 5 inches thick. Only three of which will be concrete.

Ito plans to merge town and gown with the new building, as it sits right between downtown and the edge of campus. The whole building seems very fluid and open. Frankly, anything is better than Evans Hall, but we’re seriously looking forward to seeing the museum completed.

Too bad, then, that construction will begin in 2010 and the opening will be in 2013. Even next fall’s freshies will be graduated by then.

Image Source: Marshall Astor under Creative Commons
Box of plenty: design for Berkeley Art Museum [Chron]

Nick said:
Jun 16, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Your “Take a look for yourselves” link is wonky. It’s only correctly linked on “Take a”.

Tim said:
Jun 17, 2008 at 11:20 am

You missed the bigger picture here, which the Daily Planet covered: the new museum is another deadly blow to the endangered parking spaces in downtown. Will no one stop this senseless clubbing of the innocent baby parking spaces?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4py6fp

MuseumDesignAsia said:

I love Ito’s designs and can’t wait to visit this one. thanks