Earlier, the Clog asked where we could find inane Berkeley drama if the tree-sitters leave, but perhaps we spoke too soon. On Saturday, a group of over 200 bikers descended on Shattuck Avenue to peacefully demonstrate their support for the troops.

Few aren’t familiar with the demonstrations surrounding the Marine recruiting center, but now the Clog wonders if the bikers were staging a counter-protest.

And if every protest has a counter-protest, then the counter-protest needs a counter-counter protest. While the bikers were on one side of Shattuck, a group of anti-war demonstrators were on the other side bringing yin to the yang–or yang to the yin, if you prefer it that way.

In any case, we think Voltaire put it best when he never said, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

Bikers rally in Berkeley to support military [Chron]
Image Source: Richard Fannin under Creative Commons, modified by Evante Garza-Licudine

Jim said:
Jun 24, 2008 at 5:50 pm

I think it’s a stretch to say anti-anti-Marines is anti-peace.

One could even argue that the anti-Marines are anti-peace, because without a standing army, others will be inclined to attack this country.

Where’s the peace in that?

MondegreenMom said:
Jun 26, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Why is it that anti anything is a positive thing? Code Pink has been very big on calling the supporters of the USMC OSO and the troops “Pro War” and themselves “Pro Peace”.

There are a lot of us here who are mostly “Pro Free-Speech” which includes the right of students over 18 to talk to recruiters about the option of enlisting in the volunteer military. I’m pro USMC OSO and anti-Code Pink because I think they are self-serving, attention-seeking hags.

Ironically, my son would never have noticed the USMC OSO downtown if he and his friends had not been “warned” about it by Code Pink. Thanks to the need to defend the defenders against those who would call them war criminals… he is now looking at options for ROTC scholarships in college.

Thanks for everything, Code Pink. You don’t speak for me, or for most of Berkeley, thank goodness.

MondegreenMom said:
Jun 27, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Just want to add a link to today’s article about a court order limiting CodePink’s harrassment of the USMC OSO in Shattuck Square.

CodePink is celebrating their day in court as a win for “free speech” — and so am I. The USMC Office will finally see a small amount of protection for their right to free speech — someone has finally decided to protect the protectors. Hooray!

CodePink has maintained that the military has no right to free speech because they have a marketing budget… I think they’re confused rights with privileges, entitlements and wishful thinking.