The Dark Side just got darker thanks to UC Berkeley professor James O’Brien. The Force Unleashed is a Star Wars spin-off that includes a video game for all the latest and greatest consoles.

O’Brien’s contribution (Digital Molecular Matter technology based on his doctoral dissertation) brings the gaming experience to a whole new level, so to speak. DMM effects catch the little details, like the shattering of glass and the sway of trees, and pushes them one more inch toward that lifelike quality that we crave in role playing games.

We love Obi-Wan and all his heroic manliness, but TFU has the gamer play for the other team. Who can turn down a walk on Dark Side when it offers such realistic blasting Wookies and stormtroopers?

O’Brien proves that the highest degree of comp-sci nerdiness can pay off. Granted, it’s paying off in LucasArts, arguably the highest form of sci-fi geekiness, but we can still take pride in our UC professor.

Image Source: LostTulsa under Creative Commons
UC Professor Creates the Dark Side [Contra Costa Times]

Jim said:
Jul 8, 2008 at 5:47 pm

We should take pride in the professor because he is with a video-game developer as nerdy as LucasArts, not despite of it! :)

jontsai said:
Jul 10, 2008 at 3:46 pm

All the CS majors love O’Brien, even though we get pwned in his class. Many graduates of his class have gone on to work at Pixar Animation Studios, video game industry, all the stuff that’s computer generated visuals and makes you go “Wow!”, etc.

Professors like James O’Brien who have 1337 skills really make Berkeley a great school. And to be able to pay in-state, public school tuition and take his class is just icing on top of the cake.

jontsai said:
Jul 10, 2008 at 6:16 pm

just looked at your articles link, and the directly adjacent one was one about mccain. Wow, James O’Brien has a striking resemblance to John McCain

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~job/

whoa, double take! both surnames are of Irish (Scottish?) origin. maybe they’re distant relatives

Former Student said:

Proff O’Briens exams were hard but god is he sexy! <3

Reanna Goldenberg said:

I have to admit this content was very worthwhile. I discovered you with a google search and was rather stunned at your rank for this article.