When she was alive, Joyce Columbia Berner loved books so much that she married them. No, really, she pretty much did–Berner had such an affinity for written stories that she eventually changed her last name to “Book.” She died with the name of Joyce Columbia Book last year, and that was that. Berkeley lost one of its many eccentric souls.

Today, however, the name Joyce Columbia Book resurfaces after a recent revelation. When Book died, she left a great amount of money to the Berkeley Public Library–$77,000, to be exact.

Does this mean there will be more copies of bestsellers like “Harry Potter” and “Twilight” to share? We’ll find out soon. For more interesting anecdotes on Book’s life and passionate love for reading, check out the East Bay Express. The woman apparently loved the BPL’s north branch, and preferred to read “mysteries with cats in them.”

So, in honor of Ms. Book, the Clog presents a few summer reading recommendations:

* “Cat’s Eyewitness” by Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown
This thrilling supernatural mystery not only involves felines, but is also written by a woman and her cat.

* “Bookmarked to Die” by Jo Dereske
A woman enters a midlife crisis, two people in her therapy group die and her cat, Boy Cat Zukas, disappears. Tragic and intriguing, no?

* “Cattery Row” by Clea Simon
Why read the obligatory John Steinbeck novel when you can solve a mystery involving the theft of expensive showcats?

Image Source: Aloys5268 under Wikimedia Commons
Book-loving Benefactor Named Book Leaves Fortune to Berkeley Libraries [East Bay Express]