The Daily Cal published an article today about state assembly bill AB 2296, and the UC Berkeley NewsCenter reports that it passed through the Assembly Committee on Public Safety.

Why is this so important, and what is the bill about? AB 2296 was born a few months ago as an attempt to provide law enforcement with new tools for fighting terrorism aimed at scientists who use animals in their research. Specifically, it hopes to make the publication of researchers’ personal information—such as photographs and address—illegal.

It comes at a particularly tense time, as terrorists attacked two UC Santa Cruz researchers on Aug. 2 in a startling display of ignorance over university research policy. But it’s not over yet. The bill still needs to go through the Assembly Appropriations Committee before it’s heard on the legislature floor.

We’ll keep our fingers crossed for the passage of AB 2296, since it’s useless to hope that the ideologically obsessed will see the light of reason anytime soon—if ever.

Image Source: fofurasfelina under Creative Commons
State Senate committee passes bill to protect researchers engaged in animal research [NewsCenter]
Bill Seeks to Protect Animal Researchers From Attack [Daily Cal]
Earlier: Chancellor Addresses Animal Rights Terrorism

adfadsf said:
Aug 14, 2008 at 11:01 pm

reading this whole situation, you kinda get the feeling that the anti-’vivisection’ group will probably paint the situation as one that imposes upon some kind of human right.

…like…

wait for it…

…like the right to terrorize other people.

not!

Beetle said:

While there’s no right to terrorize people, there is a right to free speech. Eugene Volokh has discussed it before, though I’m not sure how closely it applies to the current version.

Then again, after granting special protection to abortion providers, maybe courts won’t care.

adfadsf said:

when i did the whole pause thing, it was to get the reader thinking “oh, that person’s going to say “the right to freedom of speech”…but then BAM I said something else.

being able to say what you want about something definitely has something to do with freedom of speech like you point out, but at the same time these people are using that right to physically/mentally harm other people…

Bobbert said:

The people who do vivisection are just doing it for obscure cruel scientific study, they are immoraly losers who know they’re career has nothing else they can cling to. It doesn’t matter they will probably burn in hell anyways if God is just.

airjordan said:

drawstring drawing a line under air jordan shoes for kids is actually laser engraved kids air jordan shoes while using custom intriguing point high heel jordans is quite a few,

northface said:

hooked on north face pink ribbon jacket take off north face jacket boys style. Secret season cheap north face jackets fashion trends,north face denali girls colors become,