Campus MovieFest, the largest student film festival in the world, began its world tour right here in Berkeley. Participating students were given an Apple laptop, a camcorder, and a week to play filmmaker. The final films were shown Friday, Sept. 12 in Wheeler.

The show started at 7:30 p.m., but if you got there an hour early you could play sound-less Guitar Hero on an AT&T cell phone attached to their kiosk. Yay! It was hard to forget who their sponsors were with the shameless amounts of AT&T plugs, even a category “Best Use of Mobile Technology.” But the free iPod Nano giveaways made us forget about the bombardment of corporate sponsorship, at least momentarily. (Video after the jump.)

Some of the films featured reincarnations of motifs from last year’s film festival, namely flyering on Sproul and the use of paper mache bear heads (props for Berkeley references!). And once again, the shadow theater films didn’t cease to amaze. “Best Film” went to “Tour de America” which featured international students sampling local Berkeley cuisine: the Asian Ghetto, La Burrita, Top Dog and Berkel Berkel, in search of American grub. Predictably, the students all end up at McDonald’s for a processed-food feast.

Winner of “Best Comedy” went to “Berkeley Olympics 2008” which included such challenges as “the flyer dodge,” “the backpack lift,” “beer pong,” “university seal hurdling,” and our favorite, “extreme Telebears Phase III.”

Image Source: seventime under Creative Commons
Campus Moviefest [Web site]
Berkeley Olympics 2008 [YouTube]

Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem with your website in internet explorer, would check this… IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a good component of people will omit your magnificent writing due to this problem.