Next time you feel up your fruit at Berkeley Bowl, think twice before going to second base with your cherry tomato.

Raphael Breines was nabbed in the Berkeley Bowl parking lot — a.k.a. “Berkeley Brawl” for its infamous tales of Bowl-shopper brutes and automobile savagery — by premise security. He was apparently caught taste-testing in the apricot section on Berkeley Bowl security cameras. The man couldn’t doggone choose between two breeds of apricots, and now must face the consequences: banned from the Bowl for life.

He isn’t the only one facing excommunication from produce heaven, either. John Glionna of the LA Times wrote a colorful article depicting atrocities more notable than sticky hands and sticky fingers committed amongst Berkeley Bowl shoppers. Owner Glenn Yasuda promptly banned Glionna yesterday, within a day of the newspaper running Glionna’s column. We suppose Freedom of the Press has its limits.

At least they’re fair. Glionna writes,

Store manager Larry Evans says the policy is a fair response to doctors, lawyers and college professors who help themselves to bags of cookies, nuts and vitamins, stick their fingers in pies and guzzle from bottles of sake, assuming the rules don’t apply to them.

“There’s a sense of entitlement to this town,” Evans said. “People think, ‘If I want to do it, I’ll do it, just try and stop me.’”

Eerie. Where does that phrase sound familiar? On Sproul Plaza during the Free Speech Movement? At the war zone in front of the Berkeley U.S. Marine recruiting office? From a crazed bum urinating on a church alleyway? Dumpster Muffin?

Of course, “try and stop me” is just a theoretical quote. We are a professional environment at the Clog would much rather deal with legit sources and from-your-mouth quotes. Here’s one: In describing his early morning wholesale market ventures and his pride for top-quality produce, Yasuda claims that “Before you buy anything, you have to smell it, taste it.”

Sorry Breines, guess such a privilege isn’t open to everyone.

Image Source: estro under Creative Commons
At Berkeley Bowl, the nuts are off the shelf [LA Times]

yeahbaby said:

banned

Lance said:

Yeah, you’re totally banned. It’s okay. Now you just have to ask someone who isn’t banned to buy really expensive orange juice for you. =)

greg said:
Sep 24, 2008 at 9:31 am

yep berkeley pretty much sucks

Sage said:
Jan 10, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Hurray! New to Berkeley, I found myself in this loathsome place…reeking with attitude! How wonderful to read I’m not alone!

Caesar said:
Jun 8, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Those uptight liberals – Berkeley and beyond need a good lesson on the nonexistence of entitlement. A good slap upside the head also works.

cheap solar panel said:

Exactly what I was looking for, appreciate it for posting .