Berkeley teachers, that is. PZ Meyers and the Daily Planet tell us an elementary school teacher at the Berkeley Unified School District, to the shock and awe of many students, told her class that neither Harry Potter, Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny are real. But God is.

Apparently, the third grade teacher then told her classroom she didn’t believe in evolutionary theory or the Big Bang, which understandably brought many of her 8-year-old wards to tears. Being told that a fat bearded man doesn’t break into your house once a year as well as that any population’s gene pool does not undergo beneficial change over time would be enough to make anyone scared and upset.

No word as to whether the district will pursue disciplinary action against the teacher, though. On the bright side, it could have been worse—she wasn’t, for example, promoting Prosperity theology.

Image Source: Sweet One under Creative Commons
Berkeley notices a creationist [Pharyngula]
Parents Say Teacher Espoused Creationism [Daily Planet]

hall monitor said:

This story made http://detentionslip.org ! Check it out for all the crazy headlines from our schools.

adfadsf said:

that’s horrible. santa claus and the easter bunny are a part of the childhood tradition of imagination. if i were one of those students’ parents i’d be so angry. they could have had a year or two more beliving in red-suited icon, but now christmas will be that less exciting. poor kids.

Leanne said:

psst. Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are fake. CHRISTmas is intended to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, God’s One and Only Son. Easter is the celebration of His death, burial, and resurrection. This is how it has been for 2,000 years. Santa and the Easter Bunny are nothing but commercial propoganda and tell children it’s OK for parents to lie.
If you do not believe in Jesus, His birth, death, burial, or resurrection- you should put your money where your mouth is and show up for work on CHRISTmas, Good Friday, and Easter.
Children can have a great time at CHRISTmas by celebrating the birth of Jesus by waking up to a birthday cake and all the trimmings in honor of our Savior. They can also have a great celebration on Easter by celebrating the fact that Jesus died for their sins and rose again so they can live in Heaven with Him forever. They don’t need the white lies of parents concerning Santa and the Easter Bunny. Someone needs to tell these children the truth and I applaud this teacher for standing up for what is right and true. “I am the way, the truth, and the life-NO ONE come to the Father but by me.” ~Jesus~

Dut said:

Golley gee Leanne

Santa isn’t even REAL!? Good thing you’re here to enlighten us poor idiots!

You must have been devastated when you found out about this last year, and now you are on a mission to educate us all so we don’t fall into the same trap! You’re so christiany, it’s really inspiring. I’m going to take up your cause and go tell all the adults I meet that santa and the easter bunny aren’t even real, and that those holidays are about Christ!

Leanne said:

Since we all know Santa, Harry Potter, and the Easter Bunny are not real, why would a teacher be put on leave for putting these characters in the ‘fiction’ column of a chart?
The teacher also expanded on Creationism.
According to a Gallup poll, 82% of Americans believe God created humans while only 12% believe Evolution.
Evolution and Big Bang are categorized as Theories, but continue to be presented as the only truth in textbooks. If Creationism is also a theory, why can’t it be included in the textbooks too? Creationism is not just a “Christian” theory; many religions (Islam, Christianity, etc.) worldwide believe the earth was created by God. Yet again, this teacher is placed on leave because she presented a view that is supported by 82% of Americans.
The parent who complained about this teacher did not have a child in the classroom.
I highly doubt the children cried over evolution or the big bang theory as the author of the article inserts her own opinion as fact. The fact/fiction chart and Creationism incident took place in August, but went unnoticed until October.
If Evolution and the Big Bang THEORIES are presented to the students, Creationism and Intelligent Design should also be presented as relevant theories as well.