Our lives wouldn’t be complete without a yearly dose of rankings fever. The Economist released their (completely irrelevant, unnecessarily reductionist, totally and without a doubt worthless) rankings of the best full-time MBA programs in the world early this week. Naturally, Haas made the list. The surprise is that someone beat the bigwigs to the punch: Schools in both Switzerland and Spain ranked higher than the usual US titans. Crazy business people! Well, Swiss craziness, which is considerably less crazy than actual craziness.

List of the programs after the jump.

Best full-time MBA programmes
Business schools September 2008

1. IMD – International Institute for Management Development
2. IESE Business School – Unriversity of Navarra
3. Chicago, University of – Graduate School of Business
4. Stanford Graduate School of Business
5. Dartmouth College–Tuck School of Business
6. California at Berkeley, University of–Haas School of Business
7. Cambridge, University of – Judge Business School
8. New York University – Leonard N Stern School of Business
9. London Business School
10. IE Business School

IMD reports that their students earn a jaw-dropping $130,000 per year after graduation, compared with an average pre-MBA salary of $79,000. But the article also warns that with the economy tanking and Wall Street firms laying off employees by the droves, no one knows how much economic security a degree from one of these schools will guarantee you, if any at all. Uh oh. To the box-mobile, Batman!

Image Source: jonathanblocker under Creative Commons
Which MBA? [The Economist]

MBA said:

The MBA has spawned or influenced other programs, many devised because of a perceived gap in the market.

jim fredt said:
Nov 14, 2008 at 11:07 am

You have to know that firms that are serious about MBA only hire from aacsb.edu accredited schools and the other programs are just like an MS for jobs where the masters is a legal requirement but quality is not. You will not learn anything you can use from a degree mill and no one will hire you. Even when they have AACSB, they give different pay for different school quality.