Stop toying with our emotions, Ultimate College Bowl! First we’re behind UCSB, then we’re beating UCSB because you extend of the contest’s confusing deadline, then you tell us we lost after all! This is worse than Florida in 2000. And the stakes are, like, way higher this time around. Who cares about the president when Death Cab for Cutie is involved?

In case you missed the beginning of this epic saga, here’s a little re-cap: Ultimate College Bowl set up a competition between schools to see which campus could register the most voters by a given deadline. The winning student body was slated to be serenaded by Ben Gibbard and friends … for free. UCSB was pretty well in the lead until (twist!) the contest deadline was extended actually after UCSB was declared the winner! Berkeley made an incredible last-minute comeback, and everyone thought that was that.

Then, in a final blue balls-ing (at least for us cuties in B-Town) turnabout, the Ultimate College Bowl stated that they made mistakes tallying up the last-minute votes, and that when duplicates were taken into account, UCSB actually came out as top banana. Did you follow that?

In a nutshell, we lost, Santa Barbara won; they get two free-ish concerts, and we get zilch. Except maybe a bunch of hanging chads. Or a bunch of equally unexciting things–like registered voters.

(Note: Thanks, Rebecca sending us the link to the new Daily Nexus article.)

(Update: Post edited for accuracy.)

Image Source: barackobamadotcom under Creative Commons
UCSB Wins Death Cab for Cutie Concert [Daily Nexus]
Earlier: In Unexpected Upset, Cal Leapfrogs UCSB in Ultimate College Bowl

huh? said:

there was no extension of the deadline. what are you talking about?

anna said:

How do they get both concerts. What happened to Colin Meloy?

Jill Cowan said:

Thanks for pointing that out, huh?. We got a little confused, ourselves.
anna, Colin Meloy’s performance was the prize for registering the highest percentage of the student body, which UCSB did. Death Cab was the prize for highest absolute number of registrations.