A handful of Boalt law students seek to recall ASUC Senator John Moghtader. You ask why–we ask why Boalties would care a sniff about the ASUC.

The students decided to take action against Moghtader after receiving the campus-wide e-mail from the Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion Gibor Basri, which asked students to preserve campus values. The petition claims that Moghtader’s behavior has been inconsistent with campus principles of free speech. The recall campaign also follows the fight during Israel Liberation Week.

In order to recall a senator, the petitioners must collect 1,000 signatures to hold a recall election. After that, the ASUC bylaws will need some interpretation. The Daily Cal article explains that

students represented by the senator would have to vote to recall him or her by a two-thirds majority.

And those students would be?

Image Source: Ann Althouse under Creative Commons
No Room for Hate in Our Student Government [No2Hate]
Boalt Hall Students Initiate Campaign to Recall ASUC Senator [Daily Cal]
Earlier: Fight Erupts at Israel Liberation Week Concert

Beetle said:

It probably just means “all students.” The language is a holdover from a time when the Senators were not elected at large.

Panda said:

boaltfags need to stop complaining. John Moghtader deserves free speech too.

Tom P said:

Ha, just so everyone knows, this is really led by one particular Boalt student who was in Students for Justice in Palestine at Pitt. The idea that some random Boalt students actually cared about this is ridiculous!

Me said:

Yeah, and the fact that he was in SJP reveals exactly why he wants the recall – to take out the one pro-Israel activist in the Senate. Moghtader represents a significant portion of the Cal community who elected him and their voice should not be taken away because some anti-Israel bullies don’t want anyone who disagree with them on the senate.