The Berkeley Community Theater hall was proverbially decked with ghosts (or, rather, descendants) of political activism past this Thursday when Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was the keynote speaker at the Mario Savio Memorial Lecture, for which the late Berkeley great’s son was also in attendance.

Kennedy, an environmental activist who also happens to be a Kennedy, inspired students to ask not what the environment can do for them, but what they–and the government–can do for the environment. Incidentally, the Clog asks not whether that reference was funny, but how many times it has already been made. But we digress.

Needless to say, the place was stuffed to the gills with folks hopin’ to hear the man’s word on energy policy, and he reportedly didn’t disappoint when he offered up some pretty legit ideas for changing up the American marketplace and make it more conducive to alternative energy use and whatnot. Unfortunately, the Clog heard about this one too late, but we sort of wish we’d gone. So, to anyone who went, what did you think?

Update: The event was reportedly held off-campus because Kennedy refused to speak on campus in support of the campus service workers engaged in a labor dispute with the university.

Image Source: Skyler Reid, Daily Cal
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Speaks on Energy [Daily Cal]
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. boycotts UC Berkeley over labor dispute [Oakland Tribune]

Nancy said:

I thought he gave a great lecture. Definitely made a strong case for the feasibiity of converting the US from carbon-based energy systems to renewables. Equivalent to the cost of the $700Billion Wall St bailout – with a lifetime of benefit not just helping out the masters of the universe. Kennedy also discoursed on the failings of main stream media and shared with us his primary news sources – The Nation, Mother Jones and Rolling Stone. Interesting.