Q: OMG, OMG. What do you get when you cross a highly-choreographed, air guitar-sprinkled Tamil song and dance number with Berkeley landmarks like the Asian Ghetto* and the Campanile?

A: Pure, unadulterated awesomeness.  Seriously, the sheer fabulosity of it all damn near killed us.

Never mind that the Golden Gate Bridge and Lombard Street are actually in San Francisco, rather than in fair Berkeley where the makers of Vaaranam Aayiram laid some of their scenes.  We’ll let it slide–but only because the song is a fun-filled montage of flirtatious sightseeing, and the romping grounds for the protagonists’ developing love obviously can’t be confined to one measly side of the bay. Or something. The subtitles cut off when the music starts.

Anyway, for those of you who need a little more intellectual stimulation to tickle your fancy, there’s also this:

You can fast forward to about the 5:00 mark if you want to skip straight to the Berkeley bits, but we wouldn’t recommend it, as you would miss out on a snippet of  some kind of poignant family drama.  So, yeah.  In conclusion, several enthusiastic thumbs up.

*Durant Food Court, if you want to be P.C. And lame.

Thanks for the tip, victoria149.

Vaaranam Aayiram (Part 8 ) w/ English subtitles [YouTube]
Vaaranam Aayiram (Part 7) w/ English subtitles [YouTube]

Pat Bateman said:
Feb 5, 2009 at 12:26 am

It’s all so fucking hysterical.

Shrey Aggarwal said:
Feb 6, 2009 at 10:00 am

Interesting post .. though it’s probably a good idea to know that only movies in Hindi are “Bollywood” movies. As the article means, this film is in Tamil = not Hindi = not Bollywood.

Shrey Aggarwal said:
Feb 6, 2009 at 10:00 am

As this article mentions*

Shrey Aggarwal said:

dude shrey youre gay

Florida Burgy said:

I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one these days…

watch movies, watch online, tamil movies, free tamil, mp3 said:
Jul 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm

My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog. He was once totally right. This publish actually made my day. You cann’t consider simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!