YUMAfter almost a year of zoning disputes, the controversy surrounding the noisy, trash-producing, possibly illegal, but totally delicious Sunday brunch at Wat Mongkolratanaram temple may finally come to an end tomorrow.

There have already been three mediation sessions since the start of the new year, during which the temple and its aggravated neighbors didn’t really resolve the situation, per se, but we hear they did come to some kind of resolution about whether pad thai is better than pad see ew.

The current proposed project would relocate the Sunday brunch from the rear of the property to a pavilion adjacent to the South Berkeley Public Library. The temple also said they would install such high tech appliances as rubber matting to minimize the noise of fallen pots and an odor absorption ventilation system. It will also restrict the number of visitors to 200, which still seems like a pretty impressive turnout to us.

The temple also plans to build a “green wall” between the brunch spot and the neighboring homes. We’re not sure what this means, but we assume it’ll be something like an environmentally-friendly Berlin Wall, separating those who are pro-Thai brunch and anti.

Image Source: Kenn Christ under Creative Commons
Thai Temple Brunch Dispute Returns to Zoning Board [Daily Planet]
Earlier: Thai Temple Hearing Postponed Until Next Year

Lisa said:
Feb 12, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Aw, I have such fond memories of Thai Temple Sundays with my roommates. The day would go like this: 1. Wake up “early” and drag ourselves out of bed. 2. Show up to Thai temple unshowered and still kinda hung over. 3. Consume delicious Thai food and relax for a bit. Actually start to feel human. 4. Go to the RSF to work off said Thai food. 5. Spend the rest of the day studying, socializing and drinking coffee at various cafes (our outside somewhere if the weather’s nice). A perfect Berkeley Sunday.

Glad the Thai Temple will be preserved in one form or another for future generations of Cal students.

-Lisa ’01