.!.

3272410357_92d5c3f899

Break out your telescopes, kids—it’s the International Year of Astronomy. (We’re talking about the stuff in the sky, not your love forecast. Just checking.)

A joint effort between the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), this year’s theme is “The Universe, Yours to Discover.” Apparently it’s a big deal as they’ve already named a small solar system body in its honor.

It just so happens 2009 is gonna be an especially exciting year for the universe, with the longest total solar eclipse of the 21st century, a strong shower of Leonid meteors and a good view of Jupiter and its moons.

Over 130 nations around the world are participating in the celebration of what’s around our globe. The kickoff ceremony was in Paris in early January, but events are being held globally, including a lecture series by professional astros in our own hometown.

Where:

Genetics and Plant Biology Building, Room 100
When: Third Saturday of the month, 11 a.m. to noon

Next Lecture: March 21, 2009- “Is Anybody Out There? Searching for ET with Help from 8 Million Volunteers.” Dan Werthimer, the project chief scientist of [email protected] (which was started here in Berkeley), will discuss the probability of extraterrestrial life’s existence in the universe.

Image Source: alan(ator) under Creative Commons
International Year of Astronomy 2009 [Website]
International Year of Astronomy 2009 Public Talks [Website]

xrumer tumblr mod said:

Precisely what I was looking for, thankyou for putting up.