It’s certainly been an interesting few weeks where animal rights are concerned. With a handful of protesters still on trial after exercising their right to, um, creative expression, Bay Area activists of a rather different breed seized the opportunity last Saturday to make a statement of their own.

“Humans first” advocates gathered outside Golden Gate Fields in a rally that witnessed what was perhaps one of the most ragtag alliances in recent memory. “(F)armers, horse-racing fans, cosmetics executives, Christian activists, medical researchers, immigrants, and left-wing activists” all united against a clear and common enemy: Animals—or, rather, the movement promoting the equality thereof.

Speakers at the demonstration argued that the fight for animal rights endangers the health and security of humankind. Issues that were addressed included living standards for California prisoners as well as the current economic crisis; one spokesman from Berkeley’s Graduate Theological Union stated that the tragic chimpanzee attack this February was a direct result of humans favoring animals over themselves.

One of the more interesting remarks of the day came from Estrella Caballo, wife of a man recently arrested at an Oakland cockfight, who posed life’s greatest existential question:

“Many humans die every year around the world in boxing matches, martial arts matches, and ultimate fighting events,” Caballo said through an interpreter. “But when the working men who do the dirty work in our society want to relax with the sport of cockfighting, they are jailed and ridiculed. Why do we allow men to kill men, but put men in jail when chickens kill chickens?”

Indeed, the Clog can only respond with a resounding “fair enough.”

Ace Ventura – The Monopoly Guy [YouTube]
Man’s Real Best Friend [East Bay Express]

Beetle said:

You’re about 4 days too late to do this without looking ridiculous.

adfadsf said:

humans are animals too.

lawl

but i’m all for species supremacy. that is, of the cockroach. which will soon evolve into an animal, because cockroaches are just that cool. long live the beloved creature of the night!!!

nonsense post.

anyway, that cockfighting example is horrible (the cocks don’t have a choice, but wrestlers do, they get paid for it and they don’t die for it; war, on the other hand…). but at the same time most lab animals actually get treated better than most regular pets/wild animals (the only downside = they have to be destroyed when the studies end). blah blah blah.

Brick said:

Animals can’t give consent. ’nuff said.

UCB Mech E said:

I don’t think anyone has actually died in the UFC, which makes sense since they dont just stand there and throw punch after punch at each other for sixteen rounds like in boxing.

WooTa said:

Calling cockfighting a sport doesn’t make it ok. To answer Estrella Caballo, let those working men beat on each other instead of conscripting animal surrogates.

Sachiko Seesholtz said:

I am jealous. I can not get this several men and women to remark on my blog. What’s your secret? Probably some beneficial Guidelines would support me out. Be sure to test out my site at: http://www.whazzub.com