dalai-lama

Well, the event that spawned the line from hell is nearly here. His Holiness the Dalai Lama is expected to arrive in Berkeley tomorrow afternoon. The arrival of the controversial character has students giddy and UCPD all in a tizzy. Apparently, there will be some other less interesting community events taking place tomorrow as well, if any of you who couldn’t get Lama tickets are looking for consolation. Bottom line: traffic is going to be a bitch. Here’s what to watch out for:

Allston Way between Milvia Street and Martin Luther King, Jr., Way will be closed from 10 a.m to 6 p.m. Generally, probably a good idea to steer clear of Downtown Berkeley altogether. Things might get hectic; the Clog can only hope some sort of Pope-mobile type extravagance will be involved, but we aren’t getting our hopes up. UCPD anticipates shenanigans from unsympathetic political demonstrators at both the 2 p.m Greek Theatre Event and the 3:45 p.m Berkeley Community Theater event.

Other than that … be sure to check out Earth Day festivities from noon to 5 p.m in Civic Center Park! It may not entail the spiritual enlightenment that the words of his Holiness can arouse, but there will be “bio-diesel demonstrations.”

Image Source: Yves. under Creative Commons
Dalai Lama, celebrations to close Berkeley streets [Chronchron]
Campus Prepares for Dalai Lama’s Speech [Daily Cal

]

Panda said:

The Dalai Lama was fucking awesome! If u happened to miss his set, don’t worry, he’s spinning at ETD Pop this year.