.!.

It is not often when we wholeheartedly agree with Beetle. Today you witness something special.

Although deemed ineligible to run for an ASUC position, Jonathan Gaurano was granted “special status,” and now he’s senator-elect. How did this happen?

1. The Judicial Council said no to Gaurano because he was not a registered student this semester.
2. ASUC Auxiliary Director Nadesan Permaul helped him draft a letter requesting special status.
3. Elections Council Chair Emily Liedblad and ASUC Attorney General Michael Sinanian (remember him?

The Deep End of the Ocean divx

) said sure, why not?

But now it seems no one can remember what exactly was Gaurano’s argument in the first place. Beetle points out that there’s something wrong about this whole process involving “mysterious arguments nobody can remember.” We’d assume that if the argument was that convincing, that someone would remember.

Lieblad? Sinanian? Permaul? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Image Source: Ssmallfry

Runaway Bride hd

The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash ipod under Creative Commons, edited by Christine Borden
ASUC Senator-Elect Granted Exception in Order to Run [Daily Cal Blood Sisters ipod

]
Oh….kay [Beetle Beat]

Mr. Privacy Man said:

It’s called PRIVACY, and Guarano’s entitled to it. His circumstances are deeply confidential.

Christine Borden said:

@ Mr. Privacy Man: I’d assume as much, but I also think it’s dishonest to say you “don’t remember” someone’s argument if you’re just trying to protect their privacy. Something more along the lines of “I’m sorry, I can’t comment on that” seems more ethical to me.

I also think that it’s a matter of transparency. Even if such a matter is really private and personal, if you’re running for a “public” office (if you can call ASUC that), then voters deserve to know why you are eligible if under normal circumstances you would not.

yaman said:

I actually don’t think it should matter. According to the ASUC’s rules, people who are not currently students but will be in the following semester are actually allowed to vote. Anyone who is eligible to vote should really also be eligible to run, and that would include Guarano.

Beetle said:

Is that in the rules? I thought that was just allowed to be in the rules.

Ssmallfry said:

Haha, thanks for using my picture! He iz speshul.