.!.

cash

Since taking office, Obama has been throwin’ down cash like a Kennedy in a strip club. Behind this offensive and marginally coherent simile, the Clog expresses humble gratitude to our commander in chief, some of whose crisp bills are comin’ our way. The administration’s proposed 2010 budget, which Congress passed on Wednesday, entails major boosts to university funding and student aid.

You can expect to be seeing some of this money personally if you receive Pell Grants. Under the new budget, the maximum grant will become $5,350, a $500 increase and one that will be adjusted yearly for inflation. Over 50,000 UC students, 7,500 of whom attend UC Berkeley, receive the grants, which are intended to decrease the financial strain on low-income students. That’s a roughly $33 million sweaty wad of cash (to ignominiously keep our unsavory metaphor alive).

The Pell support comes on the heels of a series of boosts to research funding, including a $115 million gift to the Lawrence Berkeley Lab and $30 million to professors researching clean energy. Former Secretary of Labor and current School of Public Policy prof, Robert Reich, interprets Obama’s funding increases as indicative of a refreshing placement of value on higher education, but still feels that more could be done. No complaints from the Clog, Mr. Prez.

Image Source: Refracted Moments under Creative Commons
Obama Boosts Government’s Role in Funding Universities [Daily Cal]

Just want to say your article is as astounding. The clearness on your submit is just cool and that i could assume you’re knowledgeable on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to stay up to date with coming near near post. Thank you one million and please keep up the gratifying work.