.!.

No, that Panda Express thing will never be over. After the ASUC Store Operations Board voted against approving a lease contract

for the Chinese fast food chain, the food co-op movement wiggled itself into a competitor position. Who will dominate? Who will take over the STA Travel spot? This town ain’t big enough for the both of ‘em.

Tonight, the board will revisit the Panda contract. Tonight is fight night. As Megan Coontz, vice president of external affairs for the Berkeley Student Cooperative, puts it:

They have a choice between a profit-based chain or a cooperative enterprise.

Ooh! Which one? Despite our misgivings about Panda

, we’d have to admit that right now, “profit” sounds pretty darn sexy.

In this case, we turn to the Daily Cal’s comments section for the true wisdom on this issue (of course). Eric says:

Just approve Panda Express already. No one wants another crappy “food cooperative”.

O RLY? An anonymous commenter struck back:

Yeah, fuck those crappy food cooperatives, like Zachary’s Pizza, Cheeseboard, Nabolom Bakery, …..

Oh shoot oh shoot.

Image Source: hectorhannibal under Creative Commons

Kings of South Beach psp

Food Co-op Hopes to Compete For Lease With Panda Express [Daily Cal]
Earlier: Breaking: No More Panda … for Now

BG said:

profit is sexy

Guest said:

Regardless of these co-op peoples’ views, they don’t seem to understand incentives and what motivates people to make certain decisions.

The ASUC has said they intend to find a tenant that will bring profits and make them money.

The co-op has said that the ASUC will have to choose now between a successful for-profit business and one that makes little to no profit.

“By gee golly they’re going to have to choose between an option that brings them what they are looking for, and an option that does not.”

…How hard is that one to understand?

Guestravaganza said:

Oh come on, let up with the ‘gotcha’ questions. The difference between a for-profit enterprise and a cooperative is that a non-profit spends all of its money on worker salaries, utilities/materials, and rent to the ASUC. A for-profit institution uses its money on all of that… in addition to the money it funnels back to corporate headquarters. Non-profit doesn’t mean non-money making: it just means that it focuses on bringing that money back to students.

adfadsf said:

“it just means that it focuses on bringing that money back to students.”
You mean the workers who will be hired at this new eating place? What’s that? 7 or so students?

i don’t understand.

general question:

what exactly is a food cooperative, anyway?

Jill Cowan said:
May 6, 2009 at 12:17 am

Katie Baker liveblogged the meeting on a whim. You can read what she says here.

guestOsaurus said:
May 6, 2009 at 12:53 am

A Note on UC Santa Cruz’s Student-Run Food Co-op

LLJ said:
May 6, 2009 at 8:03 am

Why all the uproar? “Not For Profits” r good. Profit is good. If u like their food, you can’t lose.

Dumb and Dumber said:

“Ooh! Which one? Despite our misgivings about Panda, we’d have to admit that right now, “profit” sounds pretty darn sexy.”

What is with this capitalist, republican and fascist turn around? UC Berkeley students protest for decades against capitalists and corporations and now say lets have at it.

Overwhelmingly the student body voted for B. H. Obama and now they have a change of heart? He said bush and the capitalists are evil. Does this mean UC Berkeley are frauds?

Why bash republicans then adopt their policies? Obama will not be happy, he may personally punish you. You are supposed to live in the dirt and give the US money to poor countries.

Dumb and Dumber said:

“The ASUC has said they intend to find a tenant that will bring profits and make them money.”

Yep, and all of them probably voted for anti-capitalist Democrats. It is either a failed IQ or hypocrisy of these young and unintelligent persons who claim profit ( i.e. capitalism) is bad.

UCB Mech E said:
May 8, 2009 at 12:33 am

Protests for show, vendors for dough.

panda said:
May 16, 2009 at 11:39 am

fuck the food coop trying to poach the panda.

no one wants some green-produce shit, they want orange chicken.

BG said:
May 18, 2009 at 1:51 am

amen to that panda

Live Blogging the Panda Express Senate Meeting « they is, they is, they is said:
May 20, 2009 at 4:35 am

[...] under: regular I decided to live blog the Panda Express senate meeting (for background info, go here, here, or here) on a whim; I’m a fast typer and have live blogged before and was going to the [...]

perder peso said:

I must create items in addition to add more fakes. I really don’t really mean something like websites like myspace or facebook or twitter or perhaps something such as that. Come on, man the proper blog page. .

Currency Converter said:

Excellent job over again. Thanks a lot;)

Ricardo Muschett said:

I just love stumbleupon, that is precisely how I discovered your web site, I was passing away a bit of free time and stumbled across your webpage. Quite interesting I am positive I will be back to see exactly what else you have to post.

I want to express some thanks to the writer for bailing me out of this issue. Right after surfing around throughout the search engines and coming across basics which were not helpful, I assumed my entire life was gone. Living minus the solutions to the difficulties you’ve fixed by way of the report is a crucial case, as well as the ones that might have adversely affected my entire career if I had not discovered your blog post. Your actual competence and kindness in playing with a lot of things was important. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t discovered such a subject like this. I can at this moment relish my future. Thanks for your time very much for the skilled and result oriented guide. I won’t hesitate to propose the sites to anyone who should get guidelines on this problem.