208542805_6b307c7e5fSo “hilarious” might not be the best adjective to describe the previous and calamitous assault on our database’s defenses. Believe us, we’re still dreading that the purchase of some gargantuan fleet of yachts and an exotic petting zoo might appear on next month’s credit card bill. As for the latest trespass Mousehunt download , however, we can’t help but commend the culprits on an apparently risque sense of humor.

Online domains for multiple universities the world over were hacked to link to advertisements for such worldly goods as Viagra, medication for erectile dysfunction, and porn. Scandalous! And schools aren’t the sole victims; in the UK, government forums have fallen victims as well. Amusing though they may seem to we plebeians, such transgressions really do pose a major problem beyond making the targets look kind of ridiculous. As Branded 3 director of search Patrick Altoft put it:

“As soon as these hacks are detected, Google automatically downgrades their search results, so if there’s a security hole that website suddenly starts getting fewer visitors. Google wants to protect its visitors so it downgrades that result so fewer people read it.”

Good call, Google. Between this and the UHS identity theft of yore, it’s a little difficult for us to take Berkeley’s Internet stronghold seriously.

Image Source: Chanel Joy under Creative Commons
21 Grams movie download

The Ghost and the Darkness film

Dane Cook: Isolated Incident movies

Army of Darkness release

Universities and schools hacked to sell Viagra and porn [TG Daily]Humboldt County trailer

UCB Mech E said:
Jun 16, 2009 at 2:31 am

If the top public research university in the world can’t strap an electronic condom onto its e-penis, we’re all fucked.

K said:
Jun 16, 2009 at 2:51 am

I see what you ^^^ did there.