scheming

As if finding a job weren’t difficult enough as it is (as we write this from our cardboard platform in People’s Park), hard times have wedged yet another wrench into the employment process. Easy-profit endeavors like selling drugs or scheming may seem like good alternatives these days. On a related note, the UC Berkeley Career Center wants to remind you that scheming is a two-way street, and you don’t want to be on the schemed side. Watch out for fraudulent job postings on their job board; here are a few things to look out for:

As stated in an e-mail sent last Friday, the career center’s online job board, Callisto, is unscreened and vulnerable to fraudulent postings, whose aim is to steal your personal information and money. Heads up, a job is probably a scam if:

- it asks for your credit card number, bank account number, or any other digits used to access your money that a prospective employer couldn’t possibly have any legitimate need for.

- it asks for monetary payment outright, via courier or wire service. As a general rule, you don’t pay them. Ideally, the opposite will eventually occur.

- it offers a large payment in exchange for allowing the use of your bank account, often for depositing checks or transferring money. Come on, that’s just plain sketch.

- You receive an unexpectedly large check.

Prudently observe these words of caution and hopefully you won’t wind up selling knives for a pyramid scheme, or worse, canvassing for Greenpeace.

Image Source: The Doctr under Creative Commons
Career Center [Website]

Im getting a javascript error, is anyone else?

Phil Hazlewood said:

In the grand scheme of things you receive a B- for effort. Exactly where you actually confused me was first on your particulars. You know, people say, the devil is in the details… And it could not be much more accurate here. Having said that, let me inform you what exactly did deliver the results. The writing is actually rather powerful and this is most likely why I am taking the effort to opine. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, while I can certainly see a jumps in logic you make, I am not really confident of how you seem to connect the details which inturn produce the actual conclusion. For the moment I will yield to your position but hope in the near future you actually link your facts better.