I'm grateful for not being indoctrinated by expensive, creepy self-help forums.Whatever you do, do not order the Kool-Aid at Cafe Gratitude. OK, so we’re pretty sure you can’t actually order Kool-Aid anyway, mostly because we seriously doubt that Kool-Aid’s considered raw food. Also because it’s not on the menu. But still, this East Bay Express expose definitely turns the local vegan food chain sketchy side out, and you may not want to drink anything they’re pouring after reading it.

The article reports that employees of the cafe are “highly encouraged” to participate in the purportedly life-changing and (surprise, surprise) rather costly “Landmark Forum.”  Managers are reportedly required to attend. Yeah … if something about that doesn’t sound quite–oh, what’s the word we’re looking for here?–legal to you, then you’re probably right. Well, if what many former and current employees are saying is true, in any case.

Apparently the cafe’s aggressive ethic of self-empowerment and, um, gratitude made some staff members somewhat uncomfortable, particularly because they had to pay out of pocket to learn all about it. We can’t say we blame them, but then again, gratitude was never exactly our thing, anyway. If you, on the other hand, are suddenly interested in checking the place out, the Berkeley location is on Shattuck Avenue a little below Virginia Street.

Image Source: elliot.goodwin under Creative Commons
I am Annoyed and Disappointed [East Bay Express]