emptyWe know this information is probably new to all of you–but we hear tell there’s going to be some sort of walkout tomorrow. Now, if you didn’t know about it, we can’t blame you, because it hasn’t gotten much coverage. Okay, maybe that was sarcasm. Maybe all of the things we linked to about it have been published in the past 48 hours and there are about 78,498,320 more.

In any case, expect to encounter a lot of picket lines and rallies if you’re planning on being anywhere in the vicinity of campus tomorrow. If you’re thinking of participating, and aren’t just doing it as an excuse to stay home and sleep all day, we at the Clog have put together this guide to help you keep straight the teach-ins, walk-outs and teach-outs.

Wednesday, 7-9 p.m.
Save the University Teach-In
Wheeler Auditorium
Synopsis: Several big-name faculty members, including Robert Reich and Ananya Roy, explain the situation and the reasons for all the fuss. Your chance to get an idea of what’s going on without having to miss class.

Thursday

All Day
UPTE-CWA Unfair Labor Practice Pickets
At most major entries to campus, see link for schedule
Synopsis: The University Professional and Technical employees union is striking in protest against the UC administration. Major grievances include worker safety, potential layoffs and benefit costs.

8 a.m.
Berkeley Biology Transform
East Side of Mulford Hall
Synopsis: First of a series of “teach-outs” happening throughout the day. This one relates specifically to the “New Biology” and the “New World Order.” Don’t ask us what that means.

9 a.m.
The Importance of Education for Global Citizenship
Steps of VLSB
Synopsis: Jerry Sanders and Ashoka Finley are holding a teach-out.

9:30 a.m.
The Free Speech Movement Was Just the Start
West side of California Hall
Synopsis: A teach-out on the history of campus movements.

10 a.m.
How Do We Picture the University We Want?
Steps of VLSB
Synopsis: A discussion of the problems the university is facing, what it should be in an ideal world, and how to get closer to that.

10:30 a.m.
Confronting the Crisis
Outdoor section of Free Speech Movement Café
Synopsis: A talk on solidarity and the next steps in this movement.

Protecting the Public University
West side of California Hall
Synopsis: Self-explanatory? Or at least we hope so, as no further explanation is given. We could just make one up. We’ll do that next time.

11 a.m.
Republic of Dunces
West side of California Hall
Synopsis: A fair and balanced look at the people and institutions behind the current budget crisis. Okay, probably not fair and balanced, but the rest is true.

noon-2p.m.
Rally
Upper Sproul Plaza
Synopsis: The big kahuna of walkout events. Students, faculty and staff are gathering and we get the inkling they’re unhappy about something.

Stay tuned to the Clog and our more mature older sibling, the Daily Cal for coverage of the walkout.

What are your plans? Walking out? Sleeping in? Going to class whether or not your professors are actually holding them?

Image Source: inio under Creative Commons

Ricardo Gomez said:

Thanks for putting this up! You missed two things though:

-March around campus starts at Sproul 2pm
-General Assembly to evaluate walkout and decide next steps: Sproul 6pm

Another guide to the walkout is available at: http://berkeleycuts.org/?page_id=138

InBerkeley » Guide to UC Berkeley Walkouts said:

[...] Daily Clog has posted Your Guide to Walkout Festivities to help you navigate the various protest events taking place on campus over the next  24 hours or [...]

UC Walkout, Campus By Campus « Student Activism said:
Sep 24, 2009 at 5:40 am

[...] Your Guide to the Walkout Festivities, from the Daily Californian’s Daily Clog, and a Facebook page. [...]

Mt. SAC News Current | UC Campuses Revolt said:
Sep 24, 2009 at 11:34 am

[...] The Daily Clog, a blog by Cal Berkeley’s Daily Californian newspaper, has a list of events planned at that campus. It can be accessed by visiting the blog at http://clog.dailycal.org/2009/09/23/your-guide-to-walkout-festivities/ . [...]