Image Source: Valerie Woolard

Signs from the rally on Sproul Plaza.

So between the Daily Cal’s liveblog and our tweets, we figure you’ve got your walkout news pretty well covered. This post is devoted to pictures that we’ll be taking throughout the day.

Image Source: Valerie Woolard
Protesters picketing at Oxford and Center, 9:20 a.m.

Image Soure: Valerie Woolard
Protesters readying for rally, 11 a.m.

Image Soure: Valerie Woolard
Sproul Plaza crowds

Image Source: Arielle Grant
Upper Sproul Plaza, 12:07 p.m.

Image Source: Stephanie M. Lee

Image Source: Valerie Woolard
We’re not really sure what this guy’s doing.

Image Source: Valerie Woolard

Image Source: Valerie Woolard

Image Source: Valerie Woolard
Beginning of the march

Alan said:

Dumb question: we failed to pass the ballot measures in May that would have mandated funding for UCs and reduced the CA budget gap. Also, those measures were defeated by 60%, voter turnout of 30% statewide, similar numbers in Alameda County.

So, how much of today’s crisis is of our own making? And for the record, I voted in May.

Debbie said:

Great photos. I was born and raised in Berkeley and went to UC. I salute the students, faculty and staff for 1) forming a political alliance of support and 2) making your voices heard and 3) and most importantly, once again showing that UC leads while the rest of the country follows when it comes to tackling issues in public higher education.

ANON said:

Students’ interests and Faculty’s interests are diametrically opposed. If they get their way, students suffer either by having to get reduced quality of education for the same price they have been paying or students have to pay more for the same quality level of education they have been receiving. Either way its a losing situation for students if the faculty gets their way. Oh and here is a novel idea, CUT ALL FUNDING TO SPORTS TEAMS (INCLUDING SCHOLARSHIPS)THAT DONT MAKE MORE MONEY THEN THEY COST.

terrence said:
Sep 30, 2009 at 10:37 am

the big picture that no one is saying is that the saleries of the higher ups is just rediculous,they would never think obuot cutting chancellors pay, there was a scandal a few years about one that had her son on the payroll or someting, but ofcourse they ALLWAYS SCREW THE LITTLE GUY, F**K UC, all they neen to do is lay off one or two of those heads and they’ll have money