4020821629_5f346fab41

As All Hallows’ Eve approaches, the evil spirits from other realms begin to awaken, entering the portal of our world. (Don’t worry, this will end up being about sports. Just hang in there.) Berkeley’s least favorite spirit, the hobgoblin known as budget cuts, is hard at work again, cackling and doing whatever it can to make college less fun.

Now some professors are saying that sports should no longer be subsidized. (Tellingly, they call themselves the Sports Grinch Club.) Even some Knight thinks so—the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, which reports that there is an “out-of-control ‘arms race’ among college football programs competing to pay increasingly high coaches’ salaries and other associated costs.”

Athletic departments around the country are almost always out of dough. Cal is out to the tune of about $6 million this year, in spite of a budget of nearly $65 million (about $2.3 million of which went to football coach Jeff Tedford last year, btw). Chancellor Robert Birgenau is expected to lend more than $12 million by the end of next year from a discretionary fund “of interest income, gifts and undesignated bequests.”

Yee-owch. Maybe this deficit is small potatoes to the university guys, but for those of us contemplating curdled milk as an attempt to delay going to the store, these potatoes are quite large. Especially when you consider those pesky fee increases …

That said, we would like to live in a world where nerds and athletes can coexist peacefully, with funding going to both sides. After all, this is a post-”Breakfast Club” world.

Some profs want Cal to stop subsidizing sports [SFGate]
Image source: Monica’s Dad under Creative Commons

Guest said:

We need the money to make Cal better. This is more of an investment in Cal than other things are – more people at the games means better things for Cal.

Cassie Myers said:

C’mon Cassie — you should know better than that.

The Cal football program MAKES A HUGE PROFIT, thus it IS NOt subisdized by Cal Athletics.

Read this article:

In fact, it is Cal football that subsidizes other money-losing Cal sports.

So why include a picture of Cal football when it isn’t the problem????

As for Tedford’s salary, you should know that ONLY $225,000 of his salary is footed by taxpayers.

The rest comes from private donations, including from Nike, who specifically earmarked their money to go for Tedford’s salary.

Don’t believe me?

Read this article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/03/14/SPG0TOKTT71.DTL

Cassie Myers said:

Ooops — here’s the article explaining that Cal’s football program makes millions.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/blogs/cal_football_makes_millions/Content?oid=1221703