2388126525_38b93f6a1b

A rainbow mural was taken down. In Berkeley. If there’s a clearer sign that the world is changing, we don’t know what it could be. We expect the four horsemen of the apocalypse to come riding in our direction any minute.

The sign was taken down because the store which put it up also displayed its name on part of the mural in a small space. Apparently the city ordinances do not allow this. Obviously, it’s really harshing the Berkeley mellow.

All right, then, what are we gonna do about it? “City staff is recommending that the wording on height, dimensions, visibility and other details become more specific. Now, the language is so vague that it can be interpreted broadly and restrictively,” the article reads.

It’s all white noise until we get that rainbow mural back. Thankfully, the City Council meeting tonight should put a stop to the chaos. After all, banning a sign is pretty much banning the First Amendment, is it not?

And here in Berkeley, no one messes with that. You can make our streets dingy and leave beer bottles on the frat lawns, but no one puts our Bill of Rights in the corner.

Image source: ian_ransley under Creative Commons
Signs of the times are a-changing in Berkeley [San Francisco Chronicle]

Brett Weinstein said:

Berkeley Mural Treasure Hunt!
For 30 years, I’ve admired the many murals and painted facades scattered throughout Berkeley. Now, I’ve created a “Treasure Hunt” contest to see if anyone besides me knows where they all are. Check it out at http://www.realtyadvocates.com/mural_contest.html