Editor’s Note: Due to ridiculously high traffic all day Friday, the Clog was sporadically down for much of the day. Thus we resorted to Twitter for all of our occupation coverage. The above slideshow is a culmination of all the pictures we posted on Twitter taken by various Daily Cal employees. What follows are the highlights from our Twitter coverage. You can expect a more comprehensive post later.

*BREAKING: Students take over Wheeler Hall. http://tr.im/FnuQ http://tr.im/Fnv8

*http://twitpic.com/q9fq6 – Badass math professor keeps teaching on side of Evans after fire alarm

*One (of) the organizers gave out Vice Chancellor Breslauer’s number and told people to call and ask for amnesty for Wheeler Hall occupiers

*According to one of the organizers, Breslauer has agreed to begin negotiations with them.

*Outside Wheeler, they’re chanting “it’s raining, it’s cold, but UC Berkeley won’t be sold.”

*People are collecting $5 donations from the crowd to pay the bails for protestors arrested this morning #ucstrike

* dailycal Raw footage of the protest from a Daily Cal source: http://bit.ly/5JAQSk #ucstrike

*Still in front of Wheeler. Not too much happening, but a band has appeared. #Ucstrike

*Protester on west side of Wheeler: “You’re sexy, you’re cute, take off that riot suit!”

*Organizers handing out food to the crowd. Like grilled cheese sandwiches. No kidding.

*Ananya Roy and others just entered Wheeler accompanied by police #ucstrike

*Professor George Lakoff announces students will be escorted out of Wheeler and released. #ucstrike

*Occupiers will be cited with misdemeanors #ucstrike

*Prof george lakoff: “their reps will meet with the chancellor, and the vice chancellor is in there now.” #ucstrike

*Dean of Students Jonathan Poullard just entered Wheeler. Wish we knew what was going on in there. #ucstrike

*Professor Roy and others just left building. Occupiers still inside methinks #ucstrike – V.W.

*Police crossing barricade and human chain. People yelling about tear gas #ucstrike

*Everybody is sitting down. Organizers say the goal is to “block and not act with violence.” #ucbprotest #ucstrike

*There are at least three TV cameras here. And a helicopter overhead. #ucstrike

*Chancellor Birgeneau: “Attempts to engage in a conversation with the 15 to 30 protestors estimated to be in the building have been refused.”

*Lights normally (for the Big Game week) on in front of Wheeler Hall just got turned off. #ucstrike #ucbprotest

*Someone broke out into an impromptu a capella rendition of “And I Am Telling You (I’m Not Going)” #ucstrike

*Daily Clog correspondent Jessie Tseng: “This is out of control.” #ucstrike #ucbprotest

*It’s raining. Also, they’ve set up a large spotlight in front of Wheeler pointing out at the crowd. #ucstrike

* dailycal UCB spokesperson Dan Mogulof confirms 41 people arrested. More updates to come. #ucstrike #ucbprotest

*Marika Goodrich: “For anyone who was mistreated, we will have people to represent you.” #ucstrike #ucbprotest

*Some people are heading to the bonfire, expecting Chancellor Birgeneau to speak at the Big Game Rally. #ucstrike #ucbprotest

*Protest fashion: I’ve noticed several people wearing police tape headbands #ucstrike

*Aakash Desai: “I was … on our property and I’m being charged with burglary? They’re stealing our futures!” #ucbprotest #ucstrike

*dailycal Latest Daily Cal video of the protest: http://bit.ly/5rl7zl #ucstrike #ucbprotest

*ASUC President Will Smelko is inside of Wheeler, waiting for people to get out. Many people are cheering. #ucbprotest #ucstrike

*People singing “Na na hey hey kiss him goodbye” by The Steam. It looks like all the people have left Wheeler. #ucstrike #ucbprotest

*New speaker recognizes that none of the occupiers’ demands were met. #ucstrike #ucbprotest

*Anthony Prince, lawyer helping the occupiers: “I can tell you there’s a sense of history tonight.” #ucbprotest #ucstrike

Image Source: Diana Newby
Wheeler Hall Occupation Ends Peacefully [Daily Cal]

Upset said:

Have you seen how the police reacted toward the students standing outside Wheeler? There was excessive physical violence towards these kids.

Ricardo Gomez said:

Scathing commentary on yesterday’s police brutality: http://www.yamansalahi.com/2009/11/21/current-events/chancellor-birgeneau-must-be-held-accountable-for-violence-against-students/

The chancellor must be held accountable for the grad student who got her hand destroyed, for the young man who was shot, and for Integrated Biology Professor Dudley who was manhandled and arrested.

Milan Moravec said:

$3,000,000 Reckless Spending @ UCB. University of California President Yudof Approves $3,000,000 to Outsource UCB Chancellor’s Job
The UC President has a UCB Chancellor that should do the high paid job he is paid for instead of hiring an East Coast consulting firm to fulfill his responsibilities. ‘World class’ smart executives like Chancellor Birgeneau need to do the analysis, hard work and make the difficult decisions of their executive job!
Where do consulting firms like Bain ($3,000,000 consultants) get their recommendations?
From interviewing the senior management that hired them and will be approving their monthly consultant fees and expense reports. Remember the nationally known auditing firm who said the right things and submitted recommendations that senior management wanted to hear and fooled government oversight agencies and the public?
Mr. Birgeneau’s executive officer performance management responsibilities include “inspiring innovation and leading change.” This involves “defining outcomes, energizing others at all levels and ensuring continuing commitment.” Instead of demonstrating his capacity to fulfill his executive accountabilities, Mr. Birgeneau outsourced them. Doesn’t he engage University of California and University of California Berkeley (UCB) people at all levels to help examine the budget and recommend the necessary trims? Hasn’t he talked to Cornell and the University of North Carolina – which also hired Bain — about best practices and recommendations that might apply to UCB cuts?
No wonder the faculty and staff are angry and suspicious. Three million dollars is a high price for Californians to pay when a knowledgeable ‘world-class’ Chancellor is not doing his job.
Please help save $3,000,000 for teaching our students and request that the UC President require the UCB Chancellor to fulfill his executive job accountabilities

tiffany outlet said:

I read your placement time after time and I honourable thought I’d say nourish up the fitting commission!