108329754_380c5eb9bf-1It was not so long ago that Girl Scouts were cheery little munchkins who stood outside supermarkets selling us overpriced Tagalongs. Cookie selling is now a serious entrepreneurial pursuit, with Scouts replacing their smiles and innocence with technology.

In fact, it’s no longer even called a cookie sale, it’s called “a cookie program” and our prepubescent cookie peddlers are being referred to as “cookie entrepeneurs.” They’ve staged rallies, they’ve phone banked, they’re using the internet and oh god, they’re sending out mass texts like “Ur a txt away from gr8 cookies!”

The communications manager for Girl Scouts of Northern California calls the new campaign “the biggest financial literacy program for girls in the country.” Perhaps she sees this early training in sales and marketing as a way of competing with the Boy Scouts who have always known for teaching troups more practical skills. But more importantly, more sales equates to more goodies for the troops, like stuffed eagles and trips to the shooting range, apparently.

All of this rigorous marketing seems a bit superfluous, the damn things practically sell themselves (even if we were down to our last five bucks we couldn’t say no to a box of Thin Mints). How does this affect you? Ask us that next time you get a text message inviting you to try some Samoas.

Image Source: Tracy Hunter under Creative Commons
Girl Scouts go high-tech [Contra Costa Times]

JB said:

It’s like the big corps have taken over the cookie sales.
BTW: The image looks a little like Paul McCartney as a Girl Scout.

диета для похудания said:
Jan 30, 2012 at 5:38 am

программа похудения с малышевой

Wawrzyniec Duda said: