3206185068_4eef9bdccd

Ever worry about what’s going to happen after leaving the bubble of safety that the campus offers, and moving on into the real world? Afraid that these trying times will leave you broke, jobless or some unfortunate combination of the two?

Well don’t panic, because for every panic-stricken student paralyzed by the thought that they worked their ass off for a degree that might not even guarantee them a job, let alone a career, there is hope for you yet! The New York Times has released a list of the 20 American colleges and universities that produce the highest-earning alumni, and, well, the University of California, Berkeley is on it.

That’s right, Cal comes in at number 18, boasting a median starting salary of just under $60,000 per year and a median mid-career (at least 10 years post-graduation) salary of an annual $110,000 for its students. Not too shabby for the only public university on the top 20.

The list is topped off by a New England trifecta of Dartmouth, MIT, and Harvard—their graduates earn a mid-career median salary of roughly $130,000 per year. Other statistics included in the report reveal that—shockingly enough—majors like engineering, economics, mathematics, and the so-called “hard sciences” tend to produce “both highest starting median salaries and highest mid-career median salaries.”

Humanities kids, looks like we’re out of luck.

Image Source: suksim under Creative Commons
Do Elite Colleges Produce the Best-Paid Graduates [NY Times]