wheeler occupation

Did spring break make you complacent? Well, tomorrow might be your chance to shake off that chilled-out yoke, rile up those outrage-bones and enliven your cause-supporting organ system once again. The Clog received word from the Defend Affirmative Action Party that they intend to hold urging us to support a rally tomorrow (Monday) in protest of code of student conduct charges that have been leveled against the protesters who occupied Wheeler Hall a few months back. Yes, these protests are getting kind of meta.

So yeah, from what we gather (from DAAP information), Chancellor Birgeneau and the Dean of Student Affairs decided that the protesters who occupied Wheeler in November (and then again in December) should maybe face some consequences. These consequences come in the form of a seven month academic suspension or the option of having a full hearing. Finding this response uncalled for, the DAAP intend to protest for the protesters’ amnesty.

Unfortunately, that’s all the info we’ve got. If you know more, comment please!

Editor’s Note: This post has been edited to scratch out a suggestion that the DAAP party alone organized this event.

Image Source: jmhuttun under Creative Commons
DAAP group page [Facebook]

student said:

Is it really DAAP putting this protest on?
Does not seem like it from the looks of the FB event bc it wasnt created by them and in fact the comment they left on the fb group shows that they are not planning this event.

fb event: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=108686702485139&ref=mf

anyways, i’m not surprised they would send out media alerts making it seem as if they are the ones behind this.

Alex Bigman said:

Student,
thanks for catching that!

Zach said:

Yeah, student is right. This rally was organized by students facing the charges. DAAP/BAMN wasn’t involved in any way, shape, or form. I know because I’m one of the students who put it together.