861321715_bf69d39359

It’s a known fact that college kids are universally broke. Why then, has a pair of robbers decided that good ol’ Berks is the place to set up shop? Because college kids make for some pretty easy targets.

We walk around with our headphones in, music blaring, simultaneously trying to cross the street and mass text our friends about dinner plans. We might as well paint a big bull’s eye right on our backs and carry a sign that says, “I may not have much, but please take what few valuables I have on me!”

A recent string of armed robberies (up around the northern parts of campus) have shed some light on the situation. The investigating officers think that most of it has to do with the non-stop lifestyle of the average college kid.

Daylight means next to nothing to us: people sleep when they can, eat when they must and exercise if they ever find a spare moment—regardless of the hour. This sort of mentality leads to a whole bunch of pre-sunrise/post-sunset jogging and even runs in the middle of the night. And god forbid you need to grab something at the grocery store after dark! Just take a wild guess at when most of these robberies are going down? That’s right, at night.

We mean, we guess everyone could “unplug” and be, like, observant or something, but really, who has time for that? Although, given the choice between a music-less stroll to class and being held at gunpoint, we think we’ll go without our sweet tunes. Or at the very least, keep them on low volume.

Image Source: Johnny Grim under Creative Commons
Police See Connection Between Three Northside Robberies [Daily Cal]
Robbers Hold Up Pedestrians Around UC Berkeley [ABC]

Hey there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics? Appreciate it!