Tomorrow: Love on OskiThis might sound lame, but somewhere, deep down in our hearts where we buried our senses of innocence and nostalgia, we’re actually kind of excited for Cal Day. Maybe it’s that the weather always seems to miraculously turn out alright, or that the concentration of free stuff in the area is higher than usual, but whatever it is, we’re getting too damn old to pretend our cynicism overwhelms all positive emotion.

So dig out your Cal T-shirt and get ready to lord your Berkeley savvy over wide-eyed prospective freshmen (and their parents). It’s Cal Day (tomorrow), bitches! And in honor of our newly reborn souls, the Clog has compiled a short list of some of the day’s notable events:

*9-11 a.m.: If you’re an early riser and you’re into this kind of stuff, hike up to Memorial Stadium to watch an open football practice. See if you can pick out next year’s Jahvid.

*Cal Literature Expo: English majors, put on your “suck up” faces! Book signings by Berkeley authors in the lower level of the Student Store from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

*See the University Symphony Orchestra fo’ FREE from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Hertz Hall is cool and the seats are comfy. Plus, you usually have to pay.

*Campus tree trail! Self-guided tour! Trees! We loves them! Hopefully there won’t be anybody sitting in them …

*Noon to 12:30 p.m.: Cal Spirit Rally. This is the money shot.

*Check out some museums because they’re all doing stuff and they’re all free today.

*Cal Day Photoscavenger Hunt: “There are no prizes other than proving your Cal Spirit!” Uh ..

*3-4 p.m.: Grateful Dead Percussionist Mickey Hart and Nobel Laureate George Smoot. Together. Making the sounds of the universe.

*End the day with the Cold War Kids on Memorial Glade at 4 p.m. Because they’re just indie enough to get co-opers, Greeks, pre-freshmen (and their parents) all in the same place.

*Pick up your special Cal Day issue of the Daily Cal from a live-hawker. Trust us, he or she will appreciate it. (Shameless groveling, woo!)

Budget cuts, questionable protests and ASUC scandals be damned! Berkeley’s still better than everywhere else.

Image Source: monkeycat! under Creative Commons
Cal Day 2010 [website]