try saying no to that face. just try.

After over a year of imprisonment in Tehran, one of three American hikers (which specific one being as yet unclear) will reportedly be released this Saturday.

Our feelings on this undeniably thrilling revelation after the drop:

• The decision is rooted in Saturday’s religious status as Eid al-Fitr — the end of the holy month of Ramadan. Setting prisoners free in association with the holiday is apparently a usual Islamic practice. Meaning this has nothing to do with the imprisonment being unwarranted; Iranian officials are just feeling particularly festive.
  • (Which of course brings us to the following, redundant but always worth mentioning: They shouldn’t have even been arrested in the first place.)
  • The Culture Ministry’s official message informing reporters of the upcoming release was delivered via text. Like, srsly?
  • Obviously, the fact that two of the hikers will remain in prison is beyond frustrating. At least one of them, 31-year-old Sarah Shourd, is experiencing very poor health — in the form of “a breast lump and precancerous cervical cells.” As of August, she claimed to have thus far been denied any medical treatment. So freedom would obviously serve her very well.
  • Conversely, if Sarah is the lucky hiker chosen to head home, she’ll be leaving behind new-ish fiance Shane Bauer. Regardless, two hostages are remaining in less-than-pleasant and unjustified conditions.

:Sigh:. Anyway. Here’s hoping Iran at least comes through on their current promise. Happy Ramadan.

Image Source: soupshow under Creative Commons
Iran To Free 1 Of 3 American Hiker Hostages [cbs4]
One Hiker Detained in Iran to Be Released Saturday [Daily Cal]